Merry Christmas

erik simpson

Dec 24, 2023, 11:57:09 PM12/24/23
to sci.bio.paleontology
Merry Christmas all fossils out there (including living humans)!

Sight Reader

Dec 25, 2023, 11:46:26 AM12/25/23
On Sunday, December 24, 2023 at 8:57:09 PM UTC-8, erik simpson wrote:
> Merry Christmas all fossils out there (including living humans)!

FOSSILS

At midnight in the museum hall
The fossils gathered for a ball
There were no drums or saxophones,
But just the clatter of their bones,
A rolling, rattling, carefree circus
Of mammoth polkas and mazurkas.
Pterodactyls and brontosauruses
Sang ghostly prehistoric choruses.
Amid the mastodontic wassail
I caught the eye of one small fossil.
"Cheer up, sad world," he said, and winked-
"It's kind of fun to be extinct."

- Ogden Nash

erik simpson

Dec 25, 2023, 12:22:19 PM12/25/23
to sci.bio.paleontology
Good one! Is that from "The Golden Trashery of Ogden Nashery"?

Sight Reader

Dec 26, 2023, 8:39:40 PM12/26/23
I’m sure it’s in numerous volumes. I first heard it in the poems he wrote to accompany the Carnival of the Animals.