An old fake fossil

erik simpson

Feb 16, 2024, 7:42:15 PMFeb 16
Tridentinosaurus antiquus (1931) from early Permian in the Alps has now
been discovered not to represent remarkable soft-tissue preservation,
but is mainly painted. However, under the paint there are a few poorly
preserved bones, so it is, in a fossil. The new paper concludes with

"Modern tomographic methods might reveal novel information about the
preserved skeleton but, until then, we suggest caution in using T.
antiquus in phylogenetic studies." "Caution" is the word for it.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pala.12690

John Harshman

Feb 16, 2024, 8:59:37 PMFeb 16
Now that's bizarre. I wonder if the forger's identity could be discovered.

erik simpson

Feb 17, 2024, 11:37:20 AMFeb 17
to sci.bio.paleontology
I tried Wiki, but there isn't an entry (yet). I expect there will be
one before long. But I did a little searching, and came across the very
relevant gem:

https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/tridentinosaurus-antiquus-a-glider-ancestor-not-a-protorosaur/

John Harshman

Feb 17, 2024, 1:36:43 PMFeb 17
Let's not bring Peters into it, though all his fakes are apparently
sincerely intended. Is digital paint better than physical paint?

erik simpson

Feb 17, 2024, 2:22:18 PMFeb 17
to sci.bio.paleontology
I'd guess that physical paint is easier to spot than good digital
"paint". Misused AI ought to carry the scientific death penalty.

John Harshman

Feb 17, 2024, 8:23:53 PMFeb 17

Popping Mad

Feb 19, 2024, 8:08:28 PMFeb 19
Thet Teyler museum has a whole exhibit on this...