Vendramini Neanderethal Reconstruction

panther2020

Jan 2, 2024, 9:17:34 AMJan 2

https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs

Advanced bipedal ape with dark-world eyes and a fur coat...

Sight Reader

Jan 3, 2024, 9:37:01 AMJan 3
On Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 7:17:34 AM UTC-7, panther2020 wrote:
> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>
> Advanced bipedal ape with dark-world eyes and a fur coat...

Didn’t get to watch the whole thing, but although they help with night vision, there are some pretty serious disadvantages to having vertical eye pupils. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to it and hear out the rest of the reasoning.

panther2020

Jan 3, 2024, 11:29:23 AMJan 3

That's the one problem I have with Vendramini's reconstruction, i.e. the
slit eye pupils. He was sasuming thata Neanderthals were diurnal like
cats and I do not believe that. The remaining creatures from that age
such as lemurs and tarsiers do not have slit eyes, just the huge eyes
that you assume were adapted to a very dark age (long story). Same
almost certainly true for Neanderthals, I do not believe they ever saw
anything that we would call daylight.

erik simpson

Jan 3, 2024, 11:51:16 AMJan 3
to sci.bio.paleontology
Is this some kind of joke? Most mammals came out of the dark at the
beginning of the Paleogene, let alone a few hundred thousand years ago.

Vendramini is also engaged in sci-fi or is also a nutter.