Ted Talk - sleep as brain cleaning - supports my ideas

Tom Hendricks

Oct 20, 2014, 12:07:01 AM10/20/14
Jeff Lliff ted talk on sleep as brain cleaning, and how it's done.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_iliff_one_more_reason_to_get_a_good_night_s_sleep?language=en

My suggestion is that this brain cleaning carries over to all blood barriers ( brain and spine, parts of the ears, eyes, male testes, joints.
That it correlates to
NREM sleep for brain and spine cleaning
REM sleep for rest of body cleaning of blood barrier areas. (If not how are they cleaned - the same question asked of them as asked of cleaning the brain of waste)
That sleep is not for the brain alone, but includes resetting the digestive system (we can't eat and sleep at the same time), and preparing all body waste out for wake up.

Tom Hendricks

Jan 12, 2015, 12:17:37 AM1/12/15
Developing this idea some - what if

NREM is glymph cleaning for mostly the cerebrum - then most cerebrum activities reduced

REM is glymph cleaning for mostly the brain stem, limbic system, and cerebellum - the other part of the brain - then most of those activities are reduced or altered. Many facts seem to fit.

Sleep is a major mystery to solve.

Tom Hendricks

Feb 5, 2015, 12:41:22 AM2/5/15
Taking this idea further:

Muscle atonia during REM sleep

Some suggest that we are paralyzed with muscle atonia in REM sleep to make sure we don't act out our nightmares. I think it is just the opposite. Muscle atonia causes the nightmares.

REM sleep is one part of the nightly glymphatic cleanse of the brain (perhaps mostly the parts of the brain not including the cerebrtum). During that period the part of the brain that controls muscles seems to be 'out for cleansing' and that part of the body is paralyzed.

The nightmares may be just a reflection of that paralysis. The nightmares put into visual pictures the bodies shut down during REM sleep, of muscles due to the brain 'closed' for cleaning.:"

During this time body temperature approaches that of the environment. That may be because muscle atonia has stopped the muscles from producing body heat that comes from muscle movement -70% of body heat.