Does this info change late bombardment scenario which changes OOL?

Tom Hendricks

Jan 18, 2015, 12:07:19 AM1/18/15
This article looks at meteorites in a new way

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150114140527.htm

Does that change the bombardment scenario and OOL timeline? Thoughts?

nyi...@bellsouth.net

Feb 5, 2015, 12:41:22 AM2/5/15
What does "OOL" stand for? If it means "origin of life" then I fail to see
any relevance. The hypothesis just says that the planets formed very quickly
and that a class of meteorites known as chondrules are not leftovers from
before the protoplanets formed, but are mainly due to violent collisions
between protoplanets, like the titanic collision of proto-earth with a
Mars-sized protoplanet that resulted in the formation of our moon.

Life is generally believed to have begun only after the Late Heavy Bombardment,
which ended ca. 3.8 billion years ago, and which was well after these violent
collisions were a thing of the past.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Department of Math. -- standard disclaimer --
U. of South Carolina at Columbia
http://www.math.sc.edu/~nyikos/

Tom Hendricks

Feb 6, 2015, 11:06:16 PM2/6/15

> What does "OOL" stand for? If it means "origin of life" then I fail to see
> any relevance. The hypothesis just says that the planets formed very quickly
> and that a class of meteorites known as chondrules are not leftovers from
> before the protoplanets formed, but are mainly due to violent collisions
> between protoplanets, like the titanic collision of proto-earth with a
> Mars-sized protoplanet that resulted in the formation of our moon.
>
> Life is generally believed to have begun only after the Late Heavy Bombardment,
> which ended ca. 3.8 billion years ago, and which was well after these violent
> collisions were a thing of the past.
>
> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Department of Math. -- standard disclaimer --
> U. of South Carolina at Columbia
> http://www.math.sc.edu/~nyikos/

Yes OOL stands for origin of life.
I think I may have given the wrong URL, because it doesn't make the point I thought it did. You are right.

ing-bombardment-by-comets-and-ast.html
This one does. Says that life seems to have been there during the late bombardment,
and likely to have survived it. My suggestion is that the 3.8 billion years ago is wrong, and that life
was here much earlier, which brings up different scenarios to consider.

Tom Hendricks

Feb 10, 2015, 3:21:04 PM2/10/15

> ing-bombardment-by-comets-and-ast.html
> This one does. Says that life seems to have been there during the late bombardment,
> and likely to have survived it. My suggestion is that the 3.8 billion years ago is wrong, and that life
> was here much earlier, which brings up different scenarios to consider.

Somehow my full url got lost in translation!

http://tinyurl.com/q835ecm