Google scholar merges different papers as the same

Hasan Iqbal

Jul 31, 2022, 1:29:14 PM7/31/22
Dear all,

Google scholar (GS) is merging two of our papers into a single one.
When we search for these two papers in GS, the same result appears.
This produces an incorrect citation count for one of those. I remember
things were alright before, but don't know why this is suddenly happening.
How can I report this issue?

Thanks!

[[Mod. note -- I've never found any mechanism to report or correct
google-scholar errors. :( -- jt]]

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Aug 1, 2022, 6:53:19 PM8/1/22
In article <e8428e9c-69ca-4964...@googlegroups.com>, Hasa=
n Iqbal <hasan.iq...@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> Google scholar (GS) is merging two of our papers into a single one.
> When we search for these two papers in GS, the same result appears.
> This produces an incorrect citation count for one of those. I remember
> things were alright before, but don't know why this is suddenly happeni=
ng.
> How can I report this issue?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [[Mod. note -- I've never found any mechanism to report or correct
> google-scholar errors. :( -- jt]]

Indeed. There are several issues with Google Scholar. I tried several
times with considerable effort to get obvious mistakes fixed. Note that
I have set things so that I am asked to convert updates, but some things
happen anyway, and even some things fixed by hand are reversed.

Advice: forget it.

For astronomy, ADS is much better. True, they often don't have as much
as Google Scholar, but it is more accurate. Also, occasional goofs are
fixed quickly, either by emailing the staff or submitting a correction
form.

Advice: concentrate on your ADS profile. If you note (via Google
Scholar or otherwise) that something is missing, you can submit that as
an addition to ADS via a form. Also, you can convert your ADS list of
publications to an ADS library. At least in the past, that had to be
updated manually when a new publication shows up. I've seen job ads
which asked for a link to one's own ADS library rather than submitting a
publication list, so it is a good idea to set one up.