Robert L Oldershaw

Jacob Navia

Nov 1, 2022, 10:25:04 AM11/1/22
Robert was a contributor to this group years ago. I remembered him when
reading a Phys.org, article, and I wanted to contact him his email
bounced.

Then, I learned that he passed away on Aug 2021.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/gazettenet/name/robert-oldershaw-obituary?id=21718272

If I remember correctly, he proposed that stars have masses of multiples
of a constant value. He was much decried here, and he left.

The article I read was:
https://phys.org/news/2022-10-uncovering-massive-quantum-mysteries-black.html

From that article:
"Our work shows that the very early theories of Jacob Bekenstein---American
and Israeli theoretical physicist who made fundamental contributions
to the foundation of black hole thermodynamics---were on the money,"
she said.

"He postulated that black holes can only have masses that are of certain
values, that is, they must fall within certain bands or ratios---this is
how energy levels of an atom works, for example.

"Our modeling showed that these superposed masses were, in fact, in
certain determined bands or ratios---as predicted by Bekenstein.

I do not know if Mr Oldershaw's theories will be right, the future will
tell.

More information: Joshua Foo et al, Quantum Signatures of Black Hole
Mass Superpositions, Physical Review Letters (2022). DOI:
10.1103/PhysRevLett.129.181301 Journal information: Physical Review
Letters

jacob

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Nov 3, 2022, 7:14:27 PM11/3/22
In article <25c94cb3-8193-4b42...@googlegroups.com>,
Jacob Navia <jacob...@gmail.com> writes:

> Robert was a contributor to this group years ago. I remembered him when
> reading a Phys.org, article, and I wanted to contact him his email
> bounced.
>
> Then, I learned that he passed away on Aug 2021.
> https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/gazettenet/name/robert-oldershaw-obituary?id=21718272
>
> If I remember correctly, he proposed that stars have masses of multiples
> of a constant value. He was much decried here, and he left.

He posted many articles here, and they were discussed. Some took the
trouble to read his stuff and pointed out inaccuracies, often involving
statistics. As far as I know, he had one article in an otherwise
serious journal (slipped through the cracks) which made a testable
prediction, but that prediction was falsified. He then moved the
goalposts.

> The article I read was:
> https://phys.org/news/2022-10-uncovering-massive-quantum-mysteries-black.html
>
> From that article:
> "Our work shows that the very early theories of Jacob Bekenstein---American
> and Israeli theoretical physicist who made fundamental contributions
> to the foundation of black hole thermodynamics---were on the money,"
> she said.
>
> "He postulated that black holes can only have masses that are of certain
> values, that is, they must fall within certain bands or ratios---this is
> how energy levels of an atom works, for example.
>
> "Our modeling showed that these superposed masses were, in fact, in
> certain determined bands or ratios---as predicted by Bekenstein.
>
> I do not know if Mr Oldershaw's theories will be right, the future will
> tell.

Just to be clear: you remembered him when reading a Phys.org article,
but that article doesn't mention him.