WHOA! Meteorite crashes through home in Canada, narrowly misses woman inside

Leroy N. Soetoro

Nov 6, 2021, 4:55:45 PM11/6/21
https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547

A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.

Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
Hamilton's home.

Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
thing she knew, there was a loud crash.

"And all of a sudden there was an explosion," Hamilton told CTV News
Vancouver. Hamilton then jumped out of bed, turned on the lights and went
to inspect the commotion.

That's when she noticed a fist-sized hole in her ceiling, right above
where she had been fast asleep.

After calling 911, she looked around her bed, flipping over her pillow.
Then she saw it; a smooth, angular chunk of black rock.

"I didn’t feel it," Hamilton said. "It never touched me. I had debris on
my face from the drywall, but not a single scratch."

Police arrived on the scene, questioning Hamilton and a nearby
construction crew, the latter of which told authorities they had seen a
"bright ball in the sky," before the impact.

A group of researchers from the University of Calgary and Western
University inspected Hamilton's home to look for more details about the
space rock.

Later in the week, they opened their investigation to the rest of Golden,
the town in British Columbia where Hamilton lives. The team eventually
found a second rock weighing a little more than a pound in the northeast
part of town.

"We’re trying to reconstruct what the path was through the sky as it
arrived," Phil McCausland, a geophysicist at Western University, said.
"Because it’s scientifically even more valuable if we can reconstruct what
the orbit was before it hit the Earth. It gives us an idea of where it
came from."

The research team is pleading with people in the area to come forward with
any other pieces of evidence of a meteorite impact.

Hamilton loaned the meteorite that almost killed her to Western University
to photograph, weigh, measure, and to potentially take a sample of it. She
expects to get it back by Nov. 30.

Officials say that hundreds of meteorites strike the Earth's surface every
year. However, it's rare for the space rocks to land in areas that are
easily recoverable.

"The number one misconception is that they’re hot when they land," Herd
said, adding that they begin cooling some 10 to 15 miles up in the
atmosphere. "Mrs. Hamilton’s bed didn’t catch fire."

Experts say that the chances of a meteorite landing in your home are
astronomical. Specifically, about 1 in 4 trillion.

When asked if she plans to buy a lottery ticket, she laughed, then
replied:

"I won the lottery. I won it, I’m alive. I’m laughing about it. I feel
pretty blessed."

CTV News Vancouver contributed to this report.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Jonathan

Nov 7, 2021, 8:10:01 AM11/7/21
On 11/6/2021 4:55 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
> canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547
>
> A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.
>
> Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
> Hamilton's home.
>
> Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
> thing she knew, there was a loud crash.

Most meteorites like that hit the ground with the same
kind of velocity as a rock dropped off a building.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Nov 7, 2021, 8:31:26 AM11/7/21
On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 08:09:54 -0500, Jonathan <WriteI...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/6/2021 4:55 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>> https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
>> canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547
>>
>> A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.
>>
>> Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
>> Hamilton's home.
>>
>> Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
>> thing she knew, there was a loud crash.
>

>Most meteorites like that hit the ground with the same
>kind of velocity as a rock dropped off a building.

https://www.space.com/meteor-showers-shooting-stars.html

On average, meteors can speed through the atmosphere at about 30,000
mph (48,280 kph) and reach temperatures of about 3,000 degrees
Fahrenheit (1,648 degrees Celsius). When meteorites do hit the ground,
their speed is roughly half what it was upon entry, and they blast out
craters 12 to 20 times their size.

166p1

Nov 7, 2021, 8:15:44 PM11/7/21
It's all a function of their original size, composition, and to
some degree the entry angle. Large dense things will never
slow to terminal velocity on the way down - hit really hard.
The one in that woman's house probably started out at two or
three times the diameter.

REALLY big ones, well, they barely have time to notice there's
any air at all.

NASA is supposed to launch an asteroid interceptor in the next
week or two. The idea is to deliberately crash into the thing
at high velocity, see how much the "bump" alters the trajectory.
In theory you could do that with math/sims, but precise targeting
can be a practical difficulty in the real world. The energy
transfer can also vary according to asteroid composition. Best
to try it a few times for real. Apophis looms in our future ...
might want to detonate a small nuke near that thing - give it
a BIG bump.

Jonathan

Nov 9, 2021, 7:36:27 AM11/9/21
Most aren't nearly big enough to reach the ground intact or
with their initial velocity. They tend to explode in the air
and then the fragments merely fall at terminal velocity like
rocks dropped off a building. That's why that lady noticed
a tiny hole in her roof and a 'rock' below.