Problem with Jena ZKP-1

Peter Jones

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96

Zeiss Jena ZKP-1 Question.

I am posting this on behalf friend that does not have web access. He has a
50 seat pltm. with an old Zeiss Jena ZKP-1. Does anyone still use this
machine? Have you had problems with the electrical contacts on the Planet
Projector tubes (silver metal tabs that contact the bottom of the lamp)
wearing and loosing contact.? If you have a solution or any other info on
maintenance for this machine, please let me know and I will pass this info
along.

Thanks,
Peter Jones
(ac...@torfree.net
--
Peter Jones (ac...@freenet.toronto.on.ca)

Kevin Conod

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
> I am posting this on behalf friend that does not have web access. He has a
> 50 seat pltm. with an old Zeiss Jena ZKP-1. Does anyone still use this
> machine? Have you had problems with the electrical contacts on the Planet
> Projector tubes (silver metal tabs that contact the bottom of the lamp)
> wearing and loosing contact.? If you have a solution or any other info on
> maintenance for this machine, please let me know and I will pass this info
> along.

I don't know of any other ZKP-1s in North America, but there are two ZKP-2s in
the US:

Southworth Planetarium (Portland, Maine) (207) 780-4249
Bronx High School of Science (Bronx, NY) (212) 295-0200

In the US the Zeiss distributor is Seiler Instruments (St. Louis, MO):
(800) 489-2282 I don't know if there is a separate distributor for Canada...

Hope this helps.

Kevin Conod
Astronomer,
Dreyfuss Planetarium
Newark Museum, NJ
kdc...@delphi.com

Check out our Web Page:
http://www.rutgers.edu/newark/MUSEUM/dreyfuss.html

Glen Moore

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
There are several ZKP1 projects in Australia. One is at the Science
Centre, Wollongong, where it is used for around 30 shows per week.

Parts are difficult to get for this model and it has its own special
problems (e.g. the planet projector problem which started this thread).
We often make new parts when required.

Perhaps it is time for a ZKP1 user group? I would be happy to provide
coordination for such a group if there is enough interest.

Glen Moore
Director
Science centre and Planetarium
University of Wollongong,
Northfields Ave, Wollongong, NSW 2522, AUSTRALIA
Fax: 61 42 836665 Email: glen_...@uow.edu.au

Keith Johnson (DJ)

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
I looked in the data base I keep for IPS, and found two ZKP2's and
four ZKP3's. No 1's. Email me if you want addresses.

--Keith Johnson
IPS Treasurer
kei...@unr.edu

Keith Johnson (DJ)

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Whoops, can't count! Five ZKP3's! There, wasn't that worth the
"thousands of dollars to mail around the world"?

--Keith

Andreas Voss

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
to ac...@torfree.net, ac...@freenet.toronto.on.ca
Hi Peter,

I read some days ago your freind has problems with the spring loaded contacts of the
ZKP-1. The Public Observatory Munich operates this type of planetarium also. And we
had the same problems: contacts were a randomized thing. The reason were the bottom
contacts of the bulbs - they are made of soldering tin and this will melt and change
ist shape.
In the meantime Zeiss changed the design of the bulbs. The are not longer soldered
in a larger socket. They make now only one piece of brass covered with nickel with a
well collimated bulb glued into it. The most important improvement ist the gold
covered tip for the spring contact. Since we use these bulbs we dont have the
problems.
The biggest disadvantage of these lamps is the price: 1 lamp cost some 25.-- DM
(about 17.50 USD / 23 CAD) here in Germany. If you have any more questions dont
hesitate to mail me.

Andy
Secretary
(former technical head)
Public Observatory Munich
--
Andreas Voss | e-mail: vsw-mu...@gsf.de oder
Bayerische Volkssternwarte Muenchen e.V. | vo...@gsf.de
| +49-89-3187-3349

WU...@admiral.berlinet.de

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
Hello !

Keith wrote at 14.02.96
Subj. "Re: Problem with Jena ZKP-1":

> I looked in the data base I keep for IPS, and found two ZKP2's and

> four ZKP3's. No 1's. [..]

The ZKP-1's are rather old. Most of Planetariums will have replaced them
by others. (ZKP-2 wasn't expensive!). Today, you'll find ZKP-1 i.e. in
school-planetariums.
The ZKP-1 cannot display neither the southern sky nor the movement of planets.
It was probably a good reason to replace it by a ZKP-2, I think.
The ZKP-1-projector has no typical technical problems. It's constructed as
simple you can repair it yourself. Service and spare parts are still
available by Zeiss Jena.

> --Keith Johnson
> IPS Treasurer
> kei...@unr.edu

Best regards!

Nikolai

ADMIRAL BBS 24h/d online
+49-331-812237 Modem V.34
+49-331-812236 ISDN X.75

fionnf...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2017, 5:12:53 PM9/13/17
My name is fionn ferreira and I am the head of schull Planetarium in Ireland. We have a zkp-1 carl Zeiss Jena projector. Sadly the manual to the projector has been lost and we cannot use it without the manual. I found you because you seem to have the projector we too have. I would be forever grateful if you could send me a copy of the manual of your projector. I would love to compensate you for the time you need to copy the manual.

You are our last hope to have a functional projector. I would love it if you could help me.