Orion űrhajó, SciFi 1966

StarDust

Jan 7, 2023, 11:33:48 PM1/7/23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQI7bzXRKrA

My favorite movie from 1966 the Orion spaceship, German film series!
Space Patrol Orion in English, was the first German science fiction television series. Its seven episodes were broadcast by ARD from 17 September

StarDust

Jan 7, 2023, 11:41:47 PM1/7/23
Film's music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1CDxh0rGUw

Still a killer music after 56 years.

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 12:17:20 PM1/8/23
On Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 9:41:47 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

> Film's music!
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1CDxh0rGUw
>
> Still a killer music after 56 years.

And here's even a live performance...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0F6dt-gT0

also posted by a Hungarian fan of the series, for some reason.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 12:21:19 PM1/8/23
Here is a longer soundtrack suite, this time with a title in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsInV9FcL_8

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 12:52:39 PM1/8/23
On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 10:21:19 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

> Here is a longer soundtrack suite, this time with a title in English.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsInV9FcL_8

The Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra did quite a bit of work for
films. Here is the "Big Boss Theme", from a Bruce Lee movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3cP7xiL_xg

And I first heard of that orchestra from this music, for an
infamous pseudo-scientific "documentary"... yes, the big
one that started the "ancient astronaut" fad...

Erinerungen an die Zukunft!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwkdJfsAKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ClutmGYMTA

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 12:53:42 PM1/8/23
Here is the first episode of the television series, colorized, and with English
subtitles, so as to be maximally accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zOeBixRZY

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 1:46:26 PM1/8/23
Here's a vocal version of the theme song in French:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOIw3HNPeiM

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 1:51:41 PM1/8/23
On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 11:46:26 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
> Here's a vocal version of the theme song in French:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOIw3HNPeiM

Unfortunately, the sound quality is poor. Here is another upload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0bZrgo34s

but its sound quality is not perfect either.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 2:58:16 PM1/8/23
On Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 9:41:47 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

> Film's music!
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1CDxh0rGUw
>
> Still a killer music after 56 years.

Here's the full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yMU-vo-BKc

John Savard

StarDust

Jan 8, 2023, 9:21:13 PM1/8/23
Are you Hungarian or related?

Quadibloc

Jan 8, 2023, 9:35:04 PM1/8/23
On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:21:13 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

> Are you Hungarian or related?

No, but the double accute accent was the tip-off. I have
an interest in printing type and Selectric typewriters and
various other unusual subjects; also, when young, I
collected stamps. So I recognize many languages.

John Savard

StarDust

Jan 8, 2023, 10:52:01 PM1/8/23
Movie is German, synchron is Hungarian!
7 episodes, 1 hr long were produced then production was stopped.
Not sure why?

Chris L Peterson

Jan 9, 2023, 9:33:15 AM1/9/23
On Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:51:59 -0800 (PST), StarDust <cso...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 6:35:04 PM UTC-8, Quadibloc wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 7:21:13 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
>>
>> > Are you Hungarian or related?
>> No, but the double accute accent was the tip-off. I have
>> an interest in printing type and Selectric typewriters and
>> various other unusual subjects; also, when young, I
>> collected stamps. So I recognize many languages.
>>
>> John Savard
>
>Movie is German, synchron is Hungarian!
>7 episodes, 1 hr long were produced then production was stopped.
>Not sure why?

Maybe because space melodrama and bad effects were losing favor? This
was only a couple of years before 2001 was released.

Quadibloc

Jan 9, 2023, 9:50:05 AM1/9/23
Actually, it's quite a mystery why this show did not run longer, as it was
very popular in Germany.

Was it because it would have been more expensive to make episodes
next year, when color TV would be introduced in Germany?

Was it because the militaristic nature of the space fleet conflicted with
sensitivities concerning Germany's past?

There has been considerable speculation. There are also parallels
between the series and Star Trek. The budget was tight, so ordinary
objects were used as props. The Captain was in hot water for not
always following orders. It was set in a future where individual nations
on Earth no longer existed.

On the other hand, sexual tension was handled with subtlety in
the show, and it was a minor character - who tended to get shot
down - who was portrayed as a womanizer.

More significantly, there was only one alien race referred to in
the show, and that race was a deadly menace at war with humans.

John Savard

Chris L Peterson

Jan 9, 2023, 10:35:36 AM1/9/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 06:50:03 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca>
wrote:
I still lean towards the issue of bad acting and bad sets. It was a
decade or two out of date when it aired, and the market was changing.

StarDust

Jan 9, 2023, 6:08:20 PM1/9/23
On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 6:50:05 AM UTC-8, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:33:15 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:51:59 -0800 (PST),
>
> > >7 episodes, 1 hr long were produced then production was stopped.
> > >Not sure why?
>
> > Maybe because space melodrama and bad effects were losing favor? This
> > was only a couple of years before 2001 was released.
> Actually, it's quite a mystery why this show did not run longer, as it was
> very popular in Germany.
>
> Was it because it would have been more expensive to make episodes
> next year, when color TV would be introduced in Germany?
>
> Was it because the militaristic nature of the space fleet conflicted with
> sensitivities concerning Germany's past?

Would have been fun if a few V-2 rockets were used for shooting down those Alienskies?
The TV series was made in East-Germany, so the sexual tension among the crew was toned down too much, I think!
Female crew behaved like robots!

StarDust

Jan 9, 2023, 6:11:15 PM1/9/23
On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:35:36 AM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 06:50:03 -0800 (PST),
> >On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:33:15 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

> >> Maybe because space melodrama and bad effects were losing favor? This
> >> was only a couple of years before 2001 was released.
> >
> >Actually, it's quite a mystery why this show did not run longer, as it was
> >very popular in Germany.
> >
> >Was it because it would have been more expensive to make episodes
> >next year, when color TV would be introduced in Germany?
> >
> >Was it because the militaristic nature of the space fleet conflicted with
> >sensitivities concerning Germany's past?
> >
> >There has been considerable speculation. There are also parallels
> >between the series and Star Trek. The budget was tight, so ordinary
> >objects were used as props. The Captain was in hot water for not
> >always following orders. It was set in a future where individual nations
> >on Earth no longer existed.
> >
> >On the other hand, sexual tension was handled with subtlety in
> >the show, and it was a minor character - who tended to get shot
> >down - who was portrayed as a womanizer.
> >
> >More significantly, there was only one alien race referred to in
> >the show, and that race was a deadly menace at war with humans.
> >
> >John Savard
> I still lean towards the issue of bad acting and bad sets. It was a
> decade or two out of date when it aired, and the market was changing.

Actually, the acting was professional, but maybe was not enough demand for this type of films.
Back then youngsters were more into western, cowboys movies, as the US flooded the world market with them!

StarDust

Jan 9, 2023, 6:25:14 PM1/9/23

> I still lean towards the issue of bad acting and bad sets. It was a
> decade or two out of date when it aired, and the market was changing.

Sci-Fi Cinema in the 1960s
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000095855/

Of course, American movies had a much larger budget than an East-German Sci Fi flick, so they were much better made in color!
Like the Planet of the Apes, I remember to blow my mind!

Chris L Peterson

Jan 10, 2023, 10:01:41 AM1/10/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:11:14 -0800 (PST), StarDust <cso...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I'm not impressed by the acting, although to be fair, bad acting by
today's standards was kind of the norm back then.