Really nice scope comes up for sale

RichA

Aug 26, 2021, 6:43:23 PM8/26/21

StarDust

Aug 26, 2021, 6:45:07 PM8/26/21
On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 3:43:23 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
> https://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/267092-for-sale-tec-apo-200-f8-fluorite-apochromat-refractor/

$32K?
Pocket change!

Chris L Peterson

Aug 26, 2021, 11:10:21 PM8/26/21
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:45:05 -0700 (PDT), StarDust <cso...@gmail.com>
wrote:
You can get a scope at least as good for 10% of that. It's silly.

StarDust

Aug 27, 2021, 1:26:09 AM8/27/21
On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 8:10:21 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:45:05 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
> >On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 3:43:23 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
> >> https://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/267092-for-sale-tec-apo-200-f8-fluorite-apochromat-refractor/
> >
> >$32K?
> >Pocket change!
> You can get a scope at least as good for 10% of that. It's silly.

Hehe!
Only $1600!
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Premium-Mak-Newt-Astrograph-Telescope/dp/B002JO1L2Q

The images taken with this scope are as good as a large apo refractor, the only downside of course is the collimation and cooling times but if you take the challenge you can get great images for much less than a big aperture refractor, it always comes out of collimation from the factory but I don't care.
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Premium-Mak-Newt-Astrograph-Telescope/dp/B002JO1L2Q#customerReviews

RichA

Aug 27, 2021, 3:27:06 AM8/27/21
On Friday, 27 August 2021 at 01:26:09 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
> On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 8:10:21 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:45:05 -0700 (PDT),
> > wrote:
> > >
> > >$32K?
> > >Pocket change!
> > You can get a scope at least as good for 10% of that. It's silly.
> Hehe!
> Only $1600!
> https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Premium-Mak-Newt-Astrograph-Telescope/dp/B002JO1L2Q

A perpetually out of stock Chinese piece of crap. Check out some of the interferometer tests done on these things. Optics look like a phonograph record.
It's no AP refractor.

Aug 27, 2021, 8:16:53 AM8/27/21
On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 6:43:23 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
> https://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/267092-for-sale-tec-apo-200-f8-fluorite-apochromat-refractor/

Does that include a mount or just the OTA and accessories?

The cost for a new example of this optical tube assembly is shown as $29,600.

https://www.telescopengineering.com/telescope/apo200fl-f-8/

Aug 27, 2021, 8:31:16 AM8/27/21
A plain-old 8-inch f/8 Newt with a well-made custom mirror could certainly be a reasonable substitute.

fred k. engels®

Aug 27, 2021, 9:08:52 AM8/27/21

StarDust

Aug 27, 2021, 1:45:19 PM8/27/21
Probably, 5 years wait time!

StarDust

Aug 27, 2021, 1:48:50 PM8/27/21
Lot of people happy with these scopes!
Look it the photos taken with it!
You think that refractor at $32k , 20x better, eh?
I don,t think so!

RichA

Aug 27, 2021, 5:57:39 PM8/27/21
Mirrors can be close. I've seen through/owned probably the finest Mak-Newts and Mak-Cassegrains and although some come
close, they don't quite match the best refractors.

RichA

Aug 27, 2021, 5:58:49 PM8/27/21
I don't know if it's that long for a TEK, and AP no longer makes scopes larger than 130mm. Takahashi makes scopes larger than six inch, but they make the TEC price seem like a used C8 price.
CFF is the new one, uncertain about them as of yet.

fred k. engels®

Aug 27, 2021, 6:19:11 PM8/27/21
Should set up on concrete pier, but of course it will bought some rich condo
clown and used on a portable tri-pod, with the purchaser forever whining
about polar alignments and spoiled pretty pictures.

StarDust

Aug 27, 2021, 7:42:03 PM8/27/21
I own an old Vixen/Celestron 4" CF APO refractor, I know how good they are!
Showing planets/bright DSOs on star parties with my APO , I all ways had a big crowd around my scope.
But $1.6K vs. $32K is a big jump in price. Not for everyone, I think!
That's why I asked, is that refractor really 20x better than the Mak-Newt of same aperture?
Refractors price jump exponentially as aperture gets bigger and bigger.

fred k. engels®

Aug 27, 2021, 8:45:23 PM8/27/21
"StarDust" wrote: I all ways had a big crowd around my scope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpBwt4hFN8

in message news:ffdbfa12-b8d9-4443...@googlegroups.com...

StarDust

Aug 27, 2021, 9:30:21 PM8/27/21
On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 5:45:23 PM UTC-7, fred k. engels® wrote:
> "StarDust" wrote: I all ways had a big crowd around my scope.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpBwt4hFN8

Ja!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSd5BqgaVv8

Quadibloc

Aug 28, 2021, 12:47:53 AM8/28/21
On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 4:45:07 PM UTC-6, StarDust wrote:

> $32K?
> Pocket change!

Well, he said it was a _really_ nice scope. Of course if your budget is smaller,
you'll have to settle for something more ordinary. Like an 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain
instead of an 8-inch fluorite apochromatic refractor.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 28, 2021, 12:49:44 AM8/28/21
On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 11:26:09 PM UTC-6, StarDust wrote:

> Hehe!
> Only $1600!
> https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Premium-Mak-Newt-Astrograph-Telescope/dp/B002JO1L2Q

That one you can't get, it's currently out of stock.

Plus, it's an astrograph, which means its central obstruction is _so_ big it isn't recommended for
visual observing. Not that there aren't _other_ much cheaper alternatives, but this one doesn't
quite fill the bill.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 28, 2021, 12:56:20 AM8/28/21
So I think you may have to spend a little more: here's a possible alternative:

https://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=133085

John Savard

StarDust

Aug 28, 2021, 3:20:17 AM8/28/21
Somewhat smaller (31%) than C8 (35%)?
Mak-Newts come as low as 16% CO.
For larger sensor you want big CO though!

RichA

Aug 28, 2021, 4:21:42 AM8/28/21
Expected ship date Feb 2022! We're now seeing pedestrian telescopes with ship times like big apos!!

Aug 28, 2021, 7:16:25 AM8/28/21
On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 4:21:42 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:

> Expected ship date Feb 2022! We're now seeing pedestrian telescopes with ship times like big apos!!

Sooner or later, we might be back to grinding mirrors.

Chris L Peterson

Aug 28, 2021, 9:35:59 AM8/28/21
On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:57:37 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
A good reflector, with a couple of more inches of aperture, will be a
better instrument, both visually and photographically, than a
refractor, and at a fraction of the price.

fred k. engels®

Aug 28, 2021, 10:04:31 AM8/28/21

ALL MEMBERS - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Prime Minister Justin Blackface Trudeau tweeted his condolences that

Those Chicoms have just launched TEN more massive spy satellites into
orbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://media.giphy.com/media/SuIDKboVhHgtLPG6zm/giphy.mp4

How's that pretty picture horseshit® working out for you?

StarDust

Aug 28, 2021, 1:09:35 PM8/28/21
What's it to you?
You not gonna buy one anyway?
🙄🤔

fred k. engels®

Aug 28, 2021, 2:25:07 PM8/28/21
ALL MEMBERS - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Prime Minister Justin Blackface Trudeau tweeted his condolences that
Some people will tell you the moderating on the groups can be heavy-handed,
and there may be some truth to that, at least where one or two of the mods
are concerned, but do what ya gotta’ do!!!!!!!

Aug 28, 2021, 2:55:17 PM8/28/21
That refractor is going to need a pier or tripod about six feet high in order to get the eyepiece to a comfortable height. That leads one to suspect that this instrument needs to be housed in an observatory. Once you need an observatory, a whole universe of larger and more capable telescopes starts to look feasible, and for much less than $32K. Even the observatory won't cost that much.

Some telescopes seem to demand an observatory, while not really deserving one.

RichA

Aug 28, 2021, 5:56:44 PM8/28/21
They are definitely not for the weak or squeamish astronomers. Cradling a 7-8 inch tube above your head and loading into the rings is a tad nerve-wracking, compared to handling other types of scopes of the
same aperture. You can now buy rising piers which eliminate the risk but cost a lot. However, if you can afford a premium apo, you can probably buy the pier/mount too.

StarDust

Aug 29, 2021, 2:18:05 AM8/29/21
Lick Observatory has a 16" refractor, but nobody uses it a long time now.
Just a show piece for tourist!
https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/science.ucsc.edu/dist/6/11/files/2021/06/LH7401_RonBricmontLO-HistoryTalk_1920x1281_srgb_9.jpg

StarDust

Aug 29, 2021, 2:20:38 AM8/29/21