mnemonic for planets

tigger

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
hello all

sometime back, i remember reading some mnemonic for memorizing the
positions of the planets from the sun but i can't rem it for sure, can
anyone help me?

i thot it started like My Very Eccentric Mother Just Served Us N???
P???

there might be more than one, but i'll like to know the most common or
standard one(s).

thanks in advance
tigger

Bruce Milne

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
The phrase I learned in grade school goes:

Mary's Violet Eyes Make Johnny Stay Up Nights Period

Bruce.

tigger (tig...@cheerful.com) wrote:
: hello all

Dave

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
I believe it's
My Very Eccentric Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

Jeff Richards

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
I think the current politically correct version is:

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza (Pies)

just forget the second P for pie.....makes it sound better.

Clear skies,
Jeff

Dave <da...@mosesmedia.ca> wrote in message

Hazel Webb

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
I remember as a child learning them by "Many Very Energetic Men Jump
Sideways Under Nelly Parker"
I prefer the pizza one though <g>

Hazel
--
Put the 'cat' out to email me

tigger

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
thanks so much everyone

i think the one i read back then was probably My Very Eccentric Mother
Just Served Us Nine Pies but the others are real good too. the reason
i wanted to know (other than my own curiousity) is i've been passing
on some basic astronomy to my law tutor and when she asked for a way
to memorize the planets, i realized right then i forgot the mnemonic
but now i won't again in a hurry.

it's really nice to pass some info like this on to friends and hear
their excitement when they spot jupiter and saturn which are very high
up in the sky in the evenings in singapore.

yours
tigger

MikeTEACHR

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
My favorite was: "Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jup.....oops.

Never Mind

Mike

Joachim Verhagen

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <383e914...@news.pacific.net.sg>,

tig...@cheerful.com (tigger) wrote:
> hello all
>
> sometime back, i remember reading some mnemonic for memorizing the
> positions of the planets from the sun but i can't rem it for sure, can
> anyone help me?
>
> i thot it started like My Very Eccentric Mother Just Served Us N???
> P???

These are the one I have collected, Mothers pizza's or pine nuts are in
it. Personally I prefer the monsters.

Joachim.

P_______________________________________________________________________
___
From: sla...@psy.man.ac.uk (Simon Slavin)
And the planet one (which I got from Robert A. Heinleins "Have Space
Suit,
Will Travel):
Mother very thoughtfully made a jam sandwich under no protest.
for: Mercurius, Venus, thoughfully = Terra = Earth, Mars, Asteroids,
Jupiter, Saturnus, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.

From: snow...@xmission.com (Snowhare)
Mike Bandy wrote on 20 Jul 1994 09:33:13 -0400:
Most Volcanoes Erupt Mouldy Jam Sandwiches Under Normal Pressure

Many Viscious Earth Monsters Just Sat Under Nellies Porch

From: do...@echo.tds.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer)
Planets in the solar system.
My Very Excellant Memory Just Stores Up Nine Planets.

From: bad...@phylo.life.uiuc.edu (Jonathan Badger)
My Very Educated Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas

Actually, currently, I guess it is Pizzas Nine...

From: jeff.z...@execnet.com (Jeff Zeitlin)
Planets of the Solar System, in order:

My Very Extravagant Mother Just Sent Us Nine Parrots.

When Pluto comes closer to the sun than Neptune:

... Just Sent Us Pine Nuts.

From: kirr...@union3.su.swin.edu.au (Kirrily Robert - SINN Editor)
Many Very Early Mornings Julie Sits Up Naming Planets

From: ted_...@qm.sri.com (Ted Swift)
Matilda Visits Every Thursday, Just Stays Until Noon, Period.

From: bi...@znet.com (Bill Arnett)
My favorite so far is this one for the order of the planets:
"Many voters earn money just showing up near polls". I believe it is
attributed to Isaac Asimov.

From: BillFerris (billf...@aol.com)
My Very Efficient Motorcycle, AJS, Uses No Petrol.

From: Bevan Harris (B...@bigpond.com)
Another one for the planets, courtesy of Greg Lowe at Perth
Observatory.
My Very Early Model Jaguar Just Smashed Up Near Pinjarra.
(Pinjarra is a moderate sized country town about 80km south of Perth.)

From: to...@vismag.limmat.net.ch (Thomas Voirol)
A German one:

Mein Mercury my
Vater Venus father
Erklaert Earth explains
Mir Mars (to) me
Jeden Jupiter every
Sonntag Saturn sunday
Unsere Uranus our
Neuen Neptune new
Plaene Pluto plans

This will help you remember the sequence of sol's planets. If you
speak German, that is...

From: Suzanne Sarlette/Gerald Pearson <sueg...@mut1.muscanet.com>
French mnemonic for the order of the planets:
Mon vieux, Tu m'as jette sur une nouvelle planet!
Mercury, Venus, Terre (earth), Mars, ASteroids, Jupiter, Saturn, Unanus,
Neptune, Pluto

From: Jean-Philippe Granchi
<jean-phili...@ota.fr.socgen.com>
Me Voici Tout Mouillé J'ai Suivi Un Nageur Poilu
English: Now I'am wet I was following a hairy diver
This sentence has great success with young (French) amateur … :-)

From: Jean Debord <JDe...@compuserve.com>
A French mnemonic for the planets
Monsieur, vous tirez mal - Je suis un novice pitoyable.
(Mister, you shoot badly - I am a pitiful beginner)
I have found them in the last issue (October 1998) of "Pour la science"
(french
edition of "Scientific American").

--
Joachim Verhagen (jcdv...@xs4all.nl)
WWW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/ (with science humor)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Bill Richman

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In a science fiction book I read a long time ago (I *think* it was "Have
Spacesuit, Will Travel" by Heinlein), I picked up "Mother Very Thoughfully
Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest", and have remembered it ever since
(24 years or so), so I consider it a successful mnemonic. BTW: T=Terra and
A=Asteroids.

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:59:04 GMT, tig...@cheerful.com (tigger) wrote:

>hello all
>
>sometime back, i remember reading some mnemonic for memorizing the
>positions of the planets from the sun but i can't rem it for sure, can
>anyone help me?
>
>i thot it started like My Very Eccentric Mother Just Served Us N???
>P???
>

>there might be more than one, but i'll like to know the most common or
>standard one(s).
>
>thanks in advance
>tigger

-Bill Richman (bil...@inetnebr.com)
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r - Home of the COSMAC Elf Microcomputer
Simulator, Fun with Molten Metal, Orphaned Robots, and Technological Oddities.

tigger

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
hi all

hey, my friend just told me one which i thot was rather good.

My Very Easy Method Just Set Up Nine Planets

=)
tigger

BillFerris

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Here's one from across the pond. It includes the asteroid belt:

"My Very Excellent Motorcycle, A JS, Uses No Petrol"

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff, AZ

Triple Quadrophenic

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
In article <19991130224748...@ng-fq1.aol.com>, billf...@aol.com
says...

>Here's one from across the pond. It includes the asteroid belt:
>
>"My Very Excellent Motorcycle, A JS, Uses No Petrol"

From the "Schrodinger's Cat" series by RA Wilson -

Mother Very Easily Made a Jam Sandwicj Using No Peanuts, Mayonnaise or Glue

--
The opinions expressed in this communication are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer

alocky...@geol.uwa.edu.au

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
If it was anything like the norton and trumpies I owned, I'll bet it
didn't use any petrol cause it was always out of oil or broken!
lots of memories flooding back - or was it the amals flooding....
cheers,
Andrew.
--
Plus je vois l'homme, plus j'aime mon chien - Blaise Pascal

Andrew Lockwood

Dept of Geology and Geophysics.
email-> alocky!=sp...@geol.uwa.edu.au
phone # -> +61 89 380 2629 (Rm 4.59 Physics Building)

remove !=spam to reply

Michael A. Covington

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Are the planets really so unfamiliar that we need mnemonics for them?

Next you'll be devising a mnemonic to tell you whether Boston is north of
New York...

Tom Faber

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99

Good point Michael.
Why not just learn the names and order of the planets instead of
learning some dumb mnemonic.

--

Tom Faber

tigger

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
hello there

i had no idea boston was north of new york! not from US myself..

as for mnemonics, i think whatever helps pple remember things or stirs
some postive interest should be great, imho.

yours
tigger

Gerald Pearson & Sue Sarlette

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
tigger wrote:
<......>
> sometime back, i remember reading some mnemonic for memorizing the
> positions of the planets from the sun but i can't rem it for sure, can
> anyone help me?

I myself use a French one, which I saw posted a few years ago on the
Astronomy echo on Fidonet by some guy in France. I think it's sort of
nifty :-)

Mon vieux, tu m'as jete sur une nouvele planete.

(My French spelling is terrible, so I can't guarantee the spelling! I
just remember the sound.)

-- Gerry

Bruce Milne

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
Mnemonics can be quite useful for helping children to learn the planets,
among other things. I'll never forget the mnemonic taught to me by my
junior high school electronics shop teacher for remembering resistor color
codes:

Better be right or your great big venture goes wrong:

black, brown, red, orange...

GrapeApe

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
>: Are the planets really so unfamiliar that we need mnemonics for them?

to most people, probably.

I always had problems with Uranus and Neptune- the order of the rest is a snap.

I think an early Mnemonic might even be to blame for my UN problem, due to the
creator of the mnemonic wanting to make the word Sun-up to end the Menmonic
from Saturn to Pluto. Two Uranuses?

A mnemonic with too much unused filler is more confusing than helpful.

I think the mnemonic I was taught was

Many very eager men jump (at) SuNuP.

Not too helpful. Easier to remember the planets themselves.

Two Us and the word (at)/ If one was going to put AT in there, it should at
least stand for the asteroid belt.

Tom & Bev Whiting

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Bruce, maybe not so much a mnemonic, but more an arithmetic aide; I'll never
forget my high school chemistry teacher who taught us to convert F to C and
back again, using only arithmetic: (no algebraic formulas needed):

Step 1. Add 40
Step 2 multiply by 5/9 or 9/5 depending on which way you are going
Step 3 Subtract 40
The reason, of course, that this works, is because at minus 40 both are
equal, so you are creating an artificial zero point. Oh BTW, it has to be done
with respect to the algebraic signs. NEVER FAILS TO WORK- try it. Clear
Skies, Tom Whiting

Tom & Bev Whiting

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Well, for the planets, I fortunately don't need one, but the mnemonic for
the spectral classification of stars it sure does come in handy, all the
time; you know, O,B,A,F,.G, K,M,R,N,S [ Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right
Now Sweetie.] FWIW, Tom Whiting

--
You can visit our web site at:
http://www.ncinter.net/~alonmac/ecmog/

Stephen Tonkin

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Bruce Milne <mi...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> I'll never forget the mnemonic taught to me by my
>junior high school electronics shop teacher for remembering resistor color
>codes:
>
>Better be right or your great big venture goes wrong:
>
>black, brown, red, orange...

My college lecturer had one, which I will not repeat in a family forum,
which is so non-PC as to be even less acceptable than the RAF one for
trig ratios I had from my father-in-law:

Some Orifices Have Curly Auburn Hair To Obscure Approach.

Noctis Gaudia Carpe,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astronomy Books +

Joe Hartley

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Miss Victoria's Ears Make Jumping Shockingly Uncomfortable Near Porcupines.

Joe Hartley - Technical Director - Frosty Drew Observatory
12 Emma G Lane, Narragansett, RI 02882 - 401.782.9042
j...@frostydrew.org - http://www.frostydrew.org

Daniel Drabek

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
My Valet Edward Makes Juicy Sandwiches Using Needles & Pins.

(thank you Mr. Triggs-7th grade science)

DD

John Beaderstadt

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Daniel Drabek wrote:

> My Valet Edward Makes Juicy Sandwiches Using Needles & Pins.

I don't get it. Is this supposed to be easier to remember than Mercury
Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune and Pluto?

Of course, I do have to admit that I've had to learn more things by rote
than many other people. Parochial schools are really big on
memorization; by the time you've committed major portions of the New
Testament to memory (along with the 66 books of the Bible, in order),
the nine planets are nothing.

--
"I tried to imagine the easiest way God could have done it."
--Albert Einstein

Tom & Bev Whiting

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Hey Joe, they are supposed to be easier than the planets themselves, not
harder.
Maybe what we really need now is one for the order of asteroid discovery. All I
can ever remember is the original "big 4" Any ideas??? Clear Skies, Tom
Whiting

Joe Hartley wrote:

Jonathan Silverlight

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

In article <384E5075...@together.net>, John Beaderstadt (be...@together.net) writes:
>Daniel Drabek wrote:
>
>> My Valet Edward Makes Juicy Sandwiches Using Needles & Pins.
>
>I don't get it. Is this supposed to be easier to remember than Mercury
>Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune and Pluto?

Er.. no. Isn't the point that it's _fun_, and as such it's a
wonderful way to spend your time? Thinking is so much more rewarding
than memorising, except for teachers who don't get the chance to hit
pupils who make a mistake.

Glen Eckart

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Mother Very Thoughtfully Made Jelly Sandwiches Under No Protest.

From Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"

In article <danield-ya0240800...@cnews.newsguy.com>,
dan...@cruzio.com (Daniel Drabek) wrote:

> My Valet Edward Makes Juicy Sandwiches Using Needles & Pins.

Jay Reynolds Freeman

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
> Mother Very Thoughtfully Made Jelly Sandwiches Under No Protest.
>
> From Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"

That was "Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest",
with the "A" for "Asteroids". ("Thoughtfully" was of course for "Terra".)

Not to worry, I am sure the Mother Thing will forgive you...

--

Jay Reynolds Freeman -- freeman at netcom dot com -- I speak only for myself.

Scott Mc

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
In article <s3tnld...@corp.supernews.com>, "Jeff Richards" <jar1...@eagnet.com> wrote:
>I think the current politically correct version is:
>
>My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza (Pies)
>
>just forget the second P for pie.....makes it sound better.
>
>Clear skies,
>Jeff

On a trip to the air and space museum in D.C. back in the early 70's they had
a display of the planets with "My very educated mother just served us nine
pizza-pies" being sung to the tune of "Way down upon the Swaney river...".
Both the tune and mnemonic have stuck in my head since then (I was probably 15
or so then).

Ron

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat Upon Nine Porcupines.

Judy Trummer

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
I always heard "my very educated mother just showed us nine planets."

William Sommerwerck

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
I'm surprised that anyone needs a mnemonic. I have no trouble visualizing the
nine, in correct order.