An Extremely Rare Green Comet Is Visiting Earth😱

StarDust

Jan 9, 2023, 8:29:09 PM1/9/23
https://news.binodon24live.com/breaking-an-extremely-rare-green-comet-is-visiting-earth-and-you-can-see-it-withy-naked-eye-2-2/

NASA and CalTech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory predicted that the green comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF), which is named, would initially approach the Sun before circling back towards Earth between January 12 and February 2.

Why GREEN?

Quadibloc

Jan 10, 2023, 2:40:27 AM1/10/23
On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 6:29:09 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

> Why GREEN?

According to Wikipedia, the color is likely due to the presence of diatomic carbon.

John Savard

Mike Collins

Jan 10, 2023, 9:56:12 AM1/10/23
The predicted magnitude at closest approach is about 6. But we can always hope.

http://astro.vanbuitenen.nl/comet/2022E3

Chris L Peterson

Jan 10, 2023, 10:03:51 AM1/10/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 17:29:07 -0800 (PST), StarDust <cso...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>https://news.binodon24live.com/breaking-an-extremely-rare-green-comet-is-visiting-earth-and-you-can-see-it-withy-naked-eye-2-2/
>
>NASA and CalTech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory predicted that the green comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF), which is named, would initially approach the Sun before circling back towards Earth between January 12 and February 2.
>
>Why GREEN?

You won't find many comets that get near the Sun that don't have green
comas. That's from emissions of diatomic carbon and cyanogen.

And a blue ion tail, which is emissions from CO.

And a pale yellow dust trail which is reflected sunlight.

RichA

Jan 10, 2023, 10:11:01 PM1/10/23
The greenest comet I've seen was Holmes.

Martin Brown

Jan 11, 2023, 6:47:34 AM1/11/23
On 10/01/2023 15:03, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 17:29:07 -0800 (PST), StarDust <cso...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> https://news.binodon24live.com/breaking-an-extremely-rare-green-comet-is-visiting-earth-and-you-can-see-it-withy-naked-eye-2-2/
>>
>> NASA and CalTech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory predicted that the green comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF), which is named, would initially approach the Sun before circling back towards Earth between January 12 and February 2.
>>
>> Why GREEN?
>
> You won't find many comets that get near the Sun that don't have green
> comas. That's from emissions of diatomic carbon and cyanogen.

I wonder if traces of boron might play a part too. It is a relatively
common light element and is predominantly green emission spectrum.

> And a blue ion tail, which is emissions from CO.

And carbon radicals of various sorts. The earliest spectroscopy of
bright comets was a little ambiguous eg.

https://www.nature.com/articles/009193a0

> And a pale yellow dust trail which is reflected sunlight.

Hale-Bopp had a particularly fine blue ion tail that was bright enough
to be perceived as a wonderful shade of blue with the naked eye.

I reckon we are due a decent bright comet soon.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Chris L Peterson

Jan 11, 2023, 9:51:26 AM1/11/23
On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 11:47:23 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>I reckon we are due a decent bright comet soon.

I think we've had more than our share lately. NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) in
2020 and Leonard (C/2021 A1) at the end of 2021, both easily visible
to the naked eye with lots of visible structure. Two such comets over
a couple of years is ahead of the odds!