Barska 15 X 70 Binoculars

George Andrews

Jul 28, 2002, 10:11:14 PM7/28/02
I purchased a pair of 15 X 70 Barska binoculars. They have BAK-4 prisms. The
out of box condition was out of collimation. I tried them several times and
thought at first I was having a vision problem. I thought perhaps something
about the optics was causing a crosseyed condition. That was not the case,
as I discovered tonite. The procedure used to correct the problem follows.

The procedure will be described as from behind the eyepieces. The binoculars
were mounted on a tripod. A flag pole at least a half-mile away was viewed.
Two horizontally separated images were seen. I first lifted the right side
rubber cover to find the adjustment screw. I found it just about in line
with the X in the 15 X 70 marking. I adjusted the images so that they were
aligned vertically, stacked on top of each other. Next, the left side
adjustment was made. The screw was found in line with about the center of
the Barska marking. This brought the vertically separated images in perfect
alignment.

Be sure to use a proper size jewelers screwdriver for the adjustment. It
might also be advisable to put a tiny drop of nail polish on the screws
once the alignment process is satisfactory. It is really a simple process.

I initially tried to align using only the right side. All this did was get
two vertical superimposed images rather than two horizontally separated
images. I almost gave up! It was a hazy day today, but other than that, the
image was pretty decent. I will see how the image is for astronomy at the
next clear night.

I have photos showing the locations of the adjustment screws, but did not
include them. I don't know if that is acceptable here. If it is OK, and
there is interest, I will post them.

I find myself in agreement with those who have purchased these binoculars.
It is a very small effort to align them and inexpensive for 15 X 70 binocs.
I hope this is of use.
--
George Andrews, RRPT
N1YAE FN31kj