Ah, you have to LOVE nuclear RTG powered spacecraft (Voyager 1)

RichA

May 18, 2022, 4:36:50 PM5/18/22
STILL going despite being so far out and for so long.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/world/nasa-voyager-1-issue-scn/index.html

Chris L Peterson

May 18, 2022, 6:06:11 PM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 13:36:48 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>STILL going despite being so far out and for so long.
>
>https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/world/nasa-voyager-1-issue-scn/index.html

No, you have to love competent engineering that chooses the
appropriate power source for the each mission.

RichA

May 20, 2022, 5:27:31 AM5/20/22
A mission that would have ended at Mars with solar panels.

Chris L Peterson

May 20, 2022, 10:09:47 AM5/20/22
On Fri, 20 May 2022 02:27:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 18:06:11 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 May 2022 13:36:48 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >STILL going despite being so far out and for so long.
>> >
>> >https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/world/nasa-voyager-1-issue-scn/index.html
>> No, you have to love competent engineering that chooses the
>> appropriate power source for the each mission.
>

>A mission that would have ended at Mars with solar panels.

Thank you for making my point.

Scott Kozel

May 22, 2022, 12:46:53 AM5/22/22
What would it take to build a 100,000 watt RTG to power a manned Mars base?

StarDust

May 22, 2022, 2:29:33 AM5/22/22
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 1:36:50 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
> STILL going despite being so far out and for so long.
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/world/nasa-voyager-1-issue-scn/index.html

I need one for my home!
Free energy!
Gas heating prices doubled.
Next month water price triples because the drought.
Ajajaj!
😭

Chris L Peterson

May 22, 2022, 9:06:34 AM5/22/22
I doubt that would be the right nuclear technology for a 100 kW
generator.