USOs & BPism

littor...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2022, 4:56:29 PM11/27/22
Shallow-Water Habitats as Sources of Fallback Foods for Hominins
Richard Wrangham cs 2009 AJPA 140:630-642

Underground storage organs USOs have been proposed as critical fallback foods for early hominins in savanna,
but which habitats would have been important sources of USOs?
USOs consumed by hominins could have included both underwater & underground storage organs: from both aquatic & terrestrial habitats.
Shallow-aquatic habitats tend to offer high plant growth-rates, high USO densities & rel.continuous USO-availability throughout the year.
Baboons in the Okavango delta use aquatic USOs as a fallback food,
(semi)aquatic USOs support high-density human populations in various parts of the world.
As expected given fossilization requisites, the African early- to mid-Pleistocene shows an association of Homo & Paranthropus fossils with shallow-water & flooded habitats, where high densities of plant-bearing USOs are likely to have occurred.
Given that early hominins in the tropics lived in rel.dry habitats while others occupied temperate latitudes, ripe, fleshy fruits of the type preferred by African apes would not normally have been available year-round:
were water-associated USOs key fallback foods? was dry-season access to aquatic habitats an im-portant predictor of hominin home range quality?
This study differs from traditional savanna chimpanzee models of hominin origins, by proposing that access to aquatic habitats was a necessary condition for adaptation to savanna habitats.
Did harvesting efficiency in shallow water promote adaptations for habitual BPity in early hominins?

JTEM is so reasonable

Nov 27, 2022, 10:37:14 PM11/27/22
littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> Underground storage organs USOs have been proposed

> As expected given fossilization requisites, the African early- to mid-Pleistocene shows an association
> of Homo & Paranthropus fossils with shallow-water & flooded habitats, where high densities of
> plant-bearing USOs are likely to have occurred.

Ah. "Savannas."

> This study differs from traditional savanna chimpanzee models of hominin origins, by proposing that
> access to aquatic habitats was a necessary condition for adaptation to savanna habitats.

They are literally telling us that a goddamn savanna couldn't do, doesn't explain human evolution at all,
could not have supported our ancestors BUT THAT IT'S STILL RIGHT!

Why?

Once they conclude that the savanna is stupid, move on: Aquatic Ape.

P.S. Jane Goodall was never a scientist. He contaminated her research, interacted with the Chimps
she studied, attributed humans actions and motives to them.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/701970720341770240

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Nov 28, 2022, 10:14:55 PM11/28/22
-
Tubers were less important than pulses, nuts, grains and of course meat. See article posted in Paleo-Diet thread, and ignore the butt breather.

littor...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2022, 9:14:43 AM11/30/22

> Tubers were less important than pulses, nuts, grains and of course meat.

:-DDD