archaic Homo ate shellfish

littor...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2022, 6:17:16 PM7/30/22
Atypical tooth wear found in fossil hominins also present in a Japanese macaque population
Ian Towle cs 2022 doi 10.1002/ajpa.24500

Atypical tooth-wear (macroscopically visible striations on anterior teeth & within root grooves on posterior teeth) are often regarded as evidence of non-masticatory, tool use behavior in fossil hominins.
Both these types of dental tissue-loss are often considered unique to the genus Homo, and suggested to be the earliest evidence of human cultural habits.
The aim of this study was to
- describe similar tooth-wear found in a wild primate population,
- conduct a differential diagnosis of this atypical tissue loss.

The focus of this study was a sample of wild Japanese macaques from Koshima Island.
Individuals were provisioned regularly on the beach, as part of one of the longest running primate field sites.
Tooth wear & fractures in this group were compared to 2 other non-provisioned populations.
Information on diet & behavior were obtained from extensive literature & on-going field observations.

All Koshima Island individuals analyzed showed atypical tooth-wear:
- large macroscopic striations were visible on many teeth,
- sub-vertical striations were prominent on the labial surfaces of incisors.
Root grooves on posterior teeth were observed in 1/2 of the individuals,
some showed clear directional striations, cf those reported in “tooth-pick” grooves in fossil hominins.
Tool use & the habitual insertion of non-masticatory items in the mouth has not been observed in this population.

Accidental ingestion of sand & oral processing of marine mollusks likely creates these atypical wear-patterns.
Implications for similar wear that has been ass.x with tool-use in fossil hominin samples were discussed.

Primum Sapienti

Aug 8, 2022, 1:26:26 AM8/8/22
littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Atypical tooth wear found in fossil hominins also present in a Japanese macaque population
> Ian Towle cs 2022 doi 10.1002/ajpa.24500

The real facts...

https://scitechdaily.com/strange-tooth-discovery-prompts-rethink-of-human-evolution/
The study, published in the American Journal of Biological Anthropology,
concluded the ‘toothpick’-like grooves on back teeth and large uniform
scratches on the macaques’ front teeth were actually caused by something
more mundane, yet still surprising – eating shellfish from rocks and
accidentally chewing grit and sand with their food.
“Although this does not mean hominins were not placing tools in their mouths,
our study suggests the accidental ingestion of grit and/or normal food
processing behaviors could also be responsible for these atypical wear
patterns.”

"eating shellfish from rocks"

The pictures show macaques using their teeth to pry limpets from dry rocks

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.24500
Abstract
Objectives
Atypical tooth wear, including macroscopically visible striations on anterior
teeth and within root grooves on posterior teeth, are often regarded as
evidence of non-masticatory, tool use behavior in fossil hominins. Both these
types of dental tissue loss are often considered unique to the genus Homo
and suggested to be the earliest evidence of human cultural habits. The aim
of this study was to describe similar tooth wear found in a wild primate
population and to conduct a differential diagnosis of this atypical tissue
loss.

Materials and Methods
The focus of this study was a sample of wild Japanese macaques from
Koshima Island, Japan. Individuals were provisioned regularly on the beach
as part of one of the longest running primate field sites. Tooth wear and
fractures in this group were compared to two other non-provisioned
populations. Information on diet and behavior were obtained from extensive
literature and on-going field observations.

"The limpet species commonly consumed, Cellana toreuma, is typically
dislodged from rocks utilizing the mouth (Figure 6a), followed by removing
the edible contents using the anterior dentition (Figure 6b). The exact
actions
involved, and the frequency of the behavior, likely varies from individual to
individual and through time. Teeth must regularly contact rocks that limpets
are attached to during extraction, and also the hard shell when contents are
removed using the anterior dentition. Given the hardness of these materials,
this process may contribute to the formation of the macrostriations visible,
and therefore also to the atypical wear observed. Lastly, the role of other
hard dietary items cannot be ruled out, since this group has also been
observed eating acorns and other items containing a hard coating."

I Envy JTEM

Aug 9, 2022, 1:42:00 AM8/9/22
Primum Sapienti wrote:

You have no reading comprehension. I'll prove it. Tell me exactly
what the following means:

: our study suggests the accidental ingestion of grit and/or normal food processing
: behaviors could also be responsible for these atypical wear patterns.”

It's from your citation. So tell us exactly what it means, employing all the
reading comprehension you can muster.

"Suggests."

"Could also be."

If it had said "Could be" instead of "Could also be," how would that have
altered the meaning?

Do you know?

I for one look forward to your inability to answer. I am all a-flutter just
thinking about how you are going to see this and then carefully, some
might argue "Skillfully," not even attempt a reasonable, rational response.

Don't disappoint me now!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/691966152530903040

littor...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2022, 5:48:48 AM8/9/22
Op maandag 8 augustus 2022 om 07:26:26 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:

> > Atypical tooth wear found in fossil hominins also present in a Japanese macaque population
> > Ian Towle cs 2022 doi 10.1002/ajpa.24500

> The real facts...
> https://scitechdaily.com/strange-tooth-discovery-prompts-rethink-of-human-evolution/

My little boy, you're becoming more+more childish.
Typical tooth wear only seen in H.erectus & Jap.macaques.
Even if these lesions are NOT caused by shellfish or the rocks where these shellfish live, we have 7 other, *independent* indications that Pleistocene Homo ate a lot of seafood esp. shellfish:
-larger brain (DHA - pinnipeds, dolphins)
-handiness (sea-otter)
-tool use (opening shellfish)
-fossilisation amid shellfish & barnacles, e.g. Mojokerto
-shell engravings (Stephen Munro)
-ear exostoses (cold water)
-pachyosteosclerosis (shallow diving)
-worldwide dispersal (coastal)
-island colonisations (oversea)
-...

Only incredible idiots still believe their Pleistocene ancestors ran after antelopes.