Hunter gatherers have/had higher bone density

Primum Sapienti

Apr 23, 2022, 1:36:39 AM4/23/22

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/hunter-gatherer-past-shows-our-fragile-bones-result-from-physical-inactivity-since-invention-of

"New research across thousands of years of human evolution shows that our
skeletons have become much lighter and more fragile since the invention of
agriculture - a result of our increasingly sedentary lifestyles as we
shifted from
foraging to farming.

"The new study, published today in the journal PNAS, shows that, while human
hunter-gatherers from around 7,000 years ago had bones comparable in strength
to modern orangutans, farmers from the same area over 6,000 years later had
significantly lighter and weaker bones that would have been more
susceptible to
breaking.

"Bone mass was around 20% higher in the foragers - the equivalent to what an
average person would lose after three months of weightlessness in space."

https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.1418646112
Gracility of the modern Homo sapiens skeleton is the
result of decreased biomechanical loading

littor...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2022, 3:54:06 AM4/23/22
> https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/hunter-gatherer-past-shows-our-fragile-bones-result-from-physical-inactivity-since-invention-of
> "New research across thousands of years of human evolution shows that our
> skeletons have become much lighter and more fragile since the invention of
> agriculture ... hunter-gatherers from around 7,000 years ago had bones comparable in strength
> to modern orangutans ...
> https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.1418646112
> Gracility of the modern Homo sapiens skeleton is the
> result of decreased biomechanical loading

Not "new" but old research, of course.
Interesting study, but irrelevant as to why H.erectus & partially neandertals were pachy-osteo-sclerotic (as some antelope-running believers believe).
POS or pachyosteosclerosis (extremely thick & heavy skeletons, possibly more brittle due to an excess of calcium) in tetrapods is exclusively seen in slow & shallow divers, incl. all aquatic mammals initially:
early Cetacea & pinnipeds had POS, and Sirenia still have POS.
Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT" (+ refs).
Only incredible idiots believe He, Hn or early Hs ran after antelopes.

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Apr 23, 2022, 1:33:43 PM4/23/22
Thanks!

Primum Sapienti

May 11, 2022, 12:25:27 AM5/11/22
Hunter gatherers have/had higher bone density, diving not needed.

littor...@gmail.com

May 13, 2022, 3:24:30 PM5/13/22
Somebody:

> Hunter gatherers have/had higher bone density, diving not needed.

My little boy,
- everybody knows this,
- everybody also knows that this has 0 to do with pachyosteosclerosis as in H.erectus & slow-swahllo-diving marine tetrapods:

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

May 13, 2022, 5:54:30 PM5/13/22
??
Gathering seaweed, oysters, mushrooms, pineapples...

littor...@gmail.com

May 14, 2022, 3:52:34 AM5/14/22
Op vrijdag 13 mei 2022 om 23:54:30 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > - everybody also knows that this has 0 to do with pachyosteosclerosis as in H.erectus & slow-swahllo-diving marine tetrapods:
> > POS or pachyosteosclerosis (extremely thick & heavy skeletons, possibly more brittle due to an excess of calcium) in tetrapods is exclusively seen in slow & shallow divers, incl. all aquatic mammals initially:
> > early Cetacea & pinnipeds had POS, and Sirenia still have POS.
> > Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT" (+ refs).
> > Only incredible idiots believe He, Hn or early Hs ran after antelopes.

> ?? Gathering seaweed, oysters, mushrooms, pineapples...

-He: extreme POS, 800 cc small PNSs: diving, seacoasts
-Hn: moderate POS, 1400 cc, large PNSs: seasonally following rivers inland?
-Hs: no POS, 1300 cc, intermediate PNSs: wading-walking

Hn: shellfish, seaweed? salmon? ...
In any case: only incredible idiots believe He, Hn or early Hs ran after antelopes.