Ischial form

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Nov 28, 2021, 10:12:18 AM11/28/21

Paul Crowley

Nov 28, 2021, 6:46:17 PM11/28/21

Primum Sapienti

Nov 29, 2021, 1:17:41 AM11/29/21

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Nov 29, 2021, 1:24:08 AM11/29/21
Thanks, clearer.

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Nov 29, 2021, 1:24:57 AM11/29/21
Gracias.

littor...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2021, 9:10:12 AM11/29/21
Op maandag 29 november 2021 om 07:24:57 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

<https://www.academia.edu/34224879/Ischial_Form_as_an_Indicator_of_Bipedal_Kinematics_in_Early_Hominins_A_Test_Using_Extant_Anthropoids>

Ischial Form as an Indicator of Bipedal Kinematics in Early Hominins:
a Test Using Extant Anthropoids
Kristi L Lewton & Jeremiah Scott 2017
Anat Rec 300:845–858

Human ischia (vs great apes) are
- cranio-caudally short,
- dorsally projecting.
This is thought to facilitate greater hip extension in Hs BPism.
This link has been used to infer kinematics in early hominins,
but the consequences of variation in ischial configuration for gait remain uncertain.

Kinematic data for a limited sample of extant non-human primates demonstrate:
there is variation in hip extension in these taxa during BP behaviors:
Hylobates & Ateles are capable of greater extension than Pan & Macaca.

In this study, we tested:
are ischial length & orientation functionally linked with hip extension during BP among these taxa?

As expected, Hs have the shortest ischia, followed by gibbon, spider monkey, chimp & macaque.

But our predictions for ischial orientation are not supported:
- macaques, gibbons & spider monkeys do not vary in this trait,
- they have ischia that are less dorsally angled than chimps.

The results for ischium length provide limited support for the idea that
- the early hominin Ardipithecus ramidus (with its long, caudally oriented ischium) was not capable of humanlike extended-hip BPism,
- the ischial shortening observed in post-Ardipithecus hominins reflects a shift toward a more human-like gait.

In contrast,
our results do not necessarily refute a link between ischial orientation & hip extension in hominins,
but they do not provide comparative support, making changes in ischial orientation in this part of the fossil record more difficult to interpret.

:-D

Simply google "aquarboreal".

All Mio-Pliocene hominoids (incl."hominins") were "BP", not for running after antelopes, but simply for wading upright & climbing arms overhead in the branches above the swamp.
This is occasionally still seen (prediced by us :-)) in great apes:
- lowland gorillas wading for sedges,
- bonobos wading for waterlilies.

Primum Sapienti

Dec 13, 2021, 1:28:51 AM12/13/21
littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op maandag 29 november 2021 om 07:24:57 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
>
> <https://www.academia.edu/34224879/Ischial_Form_as_an_Indicator_of_Bipedal_Kinematics_in_Early_Hominins_A_Test_Using_Extant_Anthropoids>

The REAL abstract:

ABSTRACT
Human ischia contrast with those of great apes in being craniocaudally
short and
dorsally projecting. This configuration is thought to facilitate greater
hip extension
in humans during bipedal locomotion. This link has been used to infer
kinematics
in early hominins, but the consequences of variation in ischial
configuration for
gait remain uncertain. Kinematic data for a limited sample of extant nonhuman
primates demonstrate that there is variation in hip extension in these
taxa during
bipedal behaviors - specifically, Hylobates and Ateles are capable of greater
extension than Pan and Macaca. In this study, we tested the hypothesis
that ischial
length and orientation are functionally linked with hip extension during
bipedalism
among these taxa. As expected, humans have the shortest ischia, followed by
gibbons, spider monkeys, chimpanzees, and macaques. Our predictions for
ischial
orientation are not supported, however: macaques, gibbons, andspider
monkeys do
not vary in this trait, and they have ischia that are less dorsally angled
than that of
the chimpanzee. The results for ischium length provide limited support for
the idea
that the early hominin Ardipithecusramidus, with its long, caudally
oriented ischium
was not capable of humanlike extended-hip bipedalism, and that the ischial
shortening
observed in post- Ardipithecus hominins reflects a shift toward a
morehumanlike gait.
In contrast, while our results do not necessarily refute a link between
ischial orientation
and hip extension in hominins, they do not provide comparative support,
making
changes in ischial orientation in thispart of the fossil record more
difficult to interpret.
Anat Rec, 300:845–858,2017.