The first word

Mario Petrinovic

Feb 16, 2024, 6:34:32 AMFeb 16
I challenge anybody to find some other word that matches so well in
all the world languages. I tried with the "nose", and it doesn't fit at
all. I noticed that Slavs and Germanic people match with the word
"nose", but all the other languages are not even close.
https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/mom
"Dad" is also pretty similar, bat it has variable forms, like "papa",
"tata", baba". It was probably the second word, :) . "Sister" matches
only here and there, "brother" even less.

Mikko

Feb 16, 2024, 1:04:51 PMFeb 16
On 2024-02-16 11:34:30 +0000, Mario Petrinovic said:

> https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/mom

It mentions Finnish "äiti" (from Gothic) but not "emo" (from Proto-Uralic).

--
Mikko

Mario Petrinovic

Feb 16, 2024, 3:17:22 PMFeb 16
Thanks. Estonians have "ema".

Mario Petrinovic

Feb 16, 2024, 3:35:24 PMFeb 16
BTW, I see you are interested in this. Right now I am involved in one
conversation about "a" and "h". A lot of basic communication style,
not-yet-words, but more expressing different emotions or just some basic
vocal communication revolves around "a" and "h". "Ah, "ha", huh!",
"huh?" (the same thing only the pitch is different), "a-ha", pitch goes
up when you make a question, and goes down for answer, or exclamation
(see the first video below). "H" i produced by 'making sure lots of air
coming out of there' (as said in the second video below). I would
suggest that "ma" originates in "mah", "m" - holding your breath, "a" -
open mouth, "h" - 'making sure lots of air coming out of there' (see the
third video below). This situation is when you dive for shellfish (the
only meat a primate can eat raw, and it is already salty in sea), and
then you dive out:
https://youtu.be/KcXcby5pE34?si=bKiPs9god62sB4Lq
https://youtu.be/SeRLq5KJ_Ig?si=5nJcEbJtLe_XRCIM
https://youtu.be/dGtUoJJfi5o?si=t9Y88QjoFsxGq8hp

Mario Petrinovic

Feb 16, 2024, 4:04:53 PMFeb 16
Maybe to add some other non-word communication, mostly used. "Hmmm..."
(doubt). Then you add "y", "hey", "yeah". All revolve around "h".

Bozo User

Feb 20, 2024, 6:34:04 PMFeb 20
Mama, as it's the universal sound a baby does to get milk from the mother.
Papa/baba, maybe it sounds "harder" than mom, to differentiate it.