Richard Dawkins: The Extended Phenotype

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Oct 12, 2021, 7:21:26 PM10/12/21
Are there better, short definitions for the following?

genotype: the genomic code of DNA in chromosomes eg. 46 in Homo vs 48 great apes, mutations, jumping genes etc.

phenotype: protein tissue produced by recipe of DNA, alterable behaviour due to changes in production rates eg. feather vs fur vs bare skin, nail vs claw vs hoof

extended phenotype: artefacts produced by organism's behaviour
eg. beaver lodge, dam; dauber wasp mud tube made for egg nest

---

Shelter changed from tree branch to bowl nest to domeshield to dome hut to new local housing environments, how much was this due to DNA mutation/natural selection vs cumulative culture?

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

Oct 13, 2021, 10:48:29 PM10/13/21
On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 7:21:26 PM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
> Are there better, short definitions for the following?
>
> genotype: the genomic code of DNA in chromosomes eg. 46 in Homo vs 48 great apes, mutations, jumping genes etc.
>
> phenotype: protein tissue produced by recipe of DNA, alterable behaviour due to changes in production rates eg. feather vs fur vs bare skin, nail vs claw vs hoof
>
> extended phenotype: artefacts produced by organism's behaviour
> eg. beaver lodge, dam; dauber wasp mud tube made for egg nest, hut
>
> ---
>
> Shelter changed from tree branch to bowl nest to domeshield to dome hut to new local housing environments, how much was this due to DNA mutation/natural selection vs cumulative culture?

Post-transition from domeshield to dome hut with porch & hearth.
https://youtu.be/VIGxcahREjM mongolu video