Miocene Hominoidea

Marc Verhaegen

Jan 28, 2024, 8:24:17 AMJan 28
Systematics of Miocene apes:
State of the art of a neverending controversy
A Urciuoli & DM Alba 2023 JHE 175,103309
doi 10.1016/j.jhevol.2022.103309

Hominoids diverged from cercopithecoids in Oligocene Afro-Arabia, initially radiating in Africa, subsequently dispersing into Eurasia.
From the Late-Miocene onward, hominoid geographic range progressively shrank, except for hominins, which dispersed out of Africa during the Pleistocene.
The overall picture of hominoid evolution is clear based on available fossil evidence,
but many uncertainties persist re. the phylogeny & paleo-biogeography of Miocene apes (non-hominin hominoids):
sparse record, pervasive homoplasy, decimated current diversity of this group.
We review Miocene ape systematics & evolution, by focusing on the most parsimonious cladograms published during the last decade.
1) we provide a historical account of the progress made in Miocene ape phylogeny & paleo-bio-geography, report an updated classification of Miocene apes, and provide a list of Miocene ape species-locality occurrences + an analysis of their paleo-biodiversity dynamics.
2) we discuss various critical issues of Miocene ape phylogeny & paleo-biogeography (hylobatid & crown hominid origins + the relationships of Oreopithecus) in the light of the highly divergent results obtained from cladistic analyses of cranio-dental & post-cranial characters separately.
Concl.:
cladistic efforts to disentangle Miocene ape phylogeny are potentially biased by a long-branch attraction problem, caused by the numerous post-cranial similarities shared between hylobatids & hominids, despite the increasingly held view that they are likely homoplastic to a large extent, as illustrated by Siva- & Pierola-pithecus, and further aggravated by abundant missing data, owing to incomplete preservation.
IOO, besides the recovery of additional fossils, the retrieval of paleo-proteomic data & a better integration between cladistics & geometric morphometrics, Miocene ape phylogenetics should take advantage of total-evidence (tip-dating) Bayesian methods of phylogenetic inference combining morphologic, molecular & chrono-stratigraphic data: was hylobatid divergence more basal than currently supported?

("neverending"? :-) see my comment there)