odd european bee

Randy Adamczyk

Aug 25, 2007, 12:21:16 PM8/25/07
hi,

first of all, i'm not exactly sure if i should post this question in
this news group, since my question has nothing to do with bee keeping.
unfortunately i couldn't find any other news group about bees, so i'll
try my luck here.

i just found this really odd bee in my backyard:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1048/1231739667_4577cce34a_m.jpg

at least i think it is a bee... it is about an inch long, hasn't been
moving a lot (haven't seen it flying around at all). location is
austria, europe.

i'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what this is, or at
least point me in the right direction. i could try and take more
pictures from up close, but i'm a little scared of this thing, to be
honest..! don't want to upset it.

many thanks in advance,
randy

Randy Adamczyk

Aug 25, 2007, 12:47:04 PM8/25/07
On 2007-08-25 18:21:16 +0200, Randy Adamczyk <ra...@adamstudios.com> said:

> i just found this really odd bee in my backyard:
> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1048/1231739667_4577cce34a_m.jpg
>
> at least i think it is a bee... it is about an inch long, hasn't been
> moving a lot (haven't seen it flying around at all). location is
> austria, europe.
>
> i'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what this is, or at
> least point me in the right direction. i could try and take more
> pictures from up close, but i'm a little scared of this thing, to be
> honest..! don't want to upset it.

here are better pictures of this bee:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/75053778@N00/ky58CD

thanks again for your help!
randy

kauhl-meersburg

Aug 25, 2007, 2:03:37 PM8/25/07
hello Randy,

it's a bumblebee - bombus lapidarius - red-tailed bumblebee - Steinhummel -

cheers kauhl
(Lake Constance)

Randy Adamczyk

Aug 25, 2007, 2:30:56 PM8/25/07
hi kauhl,

On 2007-08-25 20:03:37 +0200, kauhl-meersburg <OFFkau...@t-online.de> said:

> it's a bumblebee - bombus lapidarius - red-tailed bumblebee - Steinhummel -

a red-tailed bumble bee, thank you!!

have a great weekend,
randy

Hugo Thoné

Aug 26, 2007, 8:09:27 AM8/26/07
Randy Adamczyk schreef:

Have a look at http://www.knnv.nl/hommels/soorten.htm
It is in Dutch but the drawings show it all.

cheers,

Hugo

Randy Adamczyk

Aug 26, 2007, 12:16:33 PM8/26/07
On 2007-08-26 14:09:27 +0200, Hugo Thoné <hugo....@edpnet.be> said:

> Have a look at http://www.knnv.nl/hommels/soorten.htm
> It is in Dutch but the drawings show it all.

it looks exactly like the image of the "steenhommel", thank you. i
already found a lot of information about it now that i know it's a
red-tailed bumble bee.

unfortunately, i think it died... yesterday it didn't move much -
didn't fly at all, just crawled around a little. it is still almost at
the same spot where i found it yesterday, and it doesn't seem to move
anymore at all.

i will try to pick it up so i can look at it more closely before i mow
the lawn in a couple of days (if it's still there then). too bad, it
was actually kind of beautiful!

thanks for you help,
randy

kauhl-meersburg

Aug 26, 2007, 2:40:40 PM8/26/07
hello Randy,
really heart warming your compassion and your sad reciting, but all
worker bees must die still in their only one sunny and lucky summer -
you surely have a wonderful garden with many critters buzzing around
cheers kauhl