What is the difference between total and stagnation pressure?

steve podleski

Jan 30, 2007, 9:11:14 PM1/30/07

> I'm an aeronautical engineering student who is thoroughly confused
> about the difference between total and stagnation pressures in a flow
> (if any). When do we measure total pressure and when do we measure
> stagnation pressure in a given flow? Why do we need to measure
> stagnation pressure at all and how do we do it? What does stagnation
> pressure signify?
>
> Can anybody please help me out?

Static pressure is the pressure that an object feels. The total pressure is
the pressure if the fluid loses all its velocity; it also a measure of the
total energy for fluids moving at velocities below speeds where
compressibility occurs : total pressure=static pressure + dynamic pressure
((density*velocity**2)/2)