question regarding leading slat

oliver

Jul 29, 2005, 9:38:53 PM7/29/05
For DC9/MD-80, when aircraft take off, the leading slat is mid extent
(sealed),and flap usually 11 or 15 degrees; during landing, slat is
full extended(unsealed) and flap is set to 40 degrees.

My question is: why slat is sealed when taking off and unsealed duing
landing?

thanks!

matt weber

Jul 30, 2005, 8:58:30 PM7/30/05

During takeoff you want maximum lift, and minimum drag, as the
aircraft tends to be quite heavy, and at high weight, MD80's and D9's
often didn't have especially good short field characteristics. Put as
much of the engine performance as you can into lift, and as little as
possible into drag. You want to maximize L/D. Keep the open spaces
between the control surface to an absolute minimum for minimum drag.

On landing, the aircraft is much lighter, the unsealing causes a
signficiant increase in drag. Increasing the drag allows you to
increase the rate of descent, and to bleed off excess speed more
easily. The full extension of the leading slats provides more lift,
but with a hefty drag penalty, reducing L/D. On approach and after
touchdown, the hefty drag penalty tends to be a useful.

Boeing is in fact in the process of sealing many control surfaces and
altering the Kreuger flaps schedule on the 737-900ER to improve the
short field performance! Since CFM isn't building a bigger engine for
the -900ER, but MGTOW is going up about 13,000 pounds, there is a need
to improve the takeoff performance.

tomst...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2005, 6:58:18 PM10/27/05
sleek,
thin, black hair was stuck eagerly forward, and all his motions
and evolutions expressed a dry, cautious acuteness. The great man
poured out a big tumbler half full of raw spirits, and gulped it
down without a word. The little man stood tiptoe, and putting his
head first to one side and then the other, and snuffing considerately
in the directions of the various bottles, ordered at last a mint
julep, in a thin and quivering voice, and with an air of great
circumspection. When poured out, he took it and looked at it with
a sharp, complacent air, like,a man who thinks he has done about
^^^
the right thing, and hit the nail on the head, and proceeded to
dispose of it in short and well-advised sips.

"Wal, now, who'd a thought this yer luck 'ad come to me?
Why, Loker, how are ye?" said Haley, coming forward, and
extending his hand to the big man.

"The devil!" was the civil reply. "What brought you here, Haley?"

The mousing man, who bore the name of Marks, instantly stopped
his sipping, and, poking his head forward, looked shrewdly
on the new acquaintance, as a cat sometimes looks at a moving dry
leaf, or some other possible object of pursuit.

"I say, Tom, this yer's the luckiest thing in the world.
I'm in a devil of a hobble, and you must help me out."

"Ugh? aw! like enough!" grunted his complacent acquaintance.
"A body may be pretty sure of that, when _you're_ glad to see 'em;
something to be made off of 'em. What's the blow now?"

"You've got a friend here?" said Haley, lookin

tomst...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2005, 4:55:18 PM10/27/05
quivering lip and dilated
nostrils, she drew herself up, and fixed a glance, blazing with
rage and scorn, on the driver.

"Dog!" she said, "touch _me_, if you dare! I've power enough,
yet, to have you torn by the dogs, burnt alive, cut to inches!
I've only to say the word!"

"What de devil you here for, den?" said the man, evidently
cowed, and sullenly retreating a step or two. "Didn't mean no
harm, Misse Cassy!"

"Keep your distance, then!" said the woman. And, in truth, the
man seemed greatly inclined to attend to something at the other
end of the field, and started off in quick time.

The woman suddenly turned to her work, and labored with a
despatch that was perfectly astonishing to Tom. She seemed to
^^^^^^^^ -?
work by magic. Before the day was through, her basket was filled,
crowded down, and piled, and she had several times put largely
into Tom's. Long after dusk, the whole weary train, with their
baskets on their heads, defiled up to the building appropriated to the
storing and weighing the cotton. Legree was there, busily conversing
with the two drivers.

"Dat ar Tom's gwine to make a powerful deal o' trouble; kept
a puttin' into Lucy's basket.--One o' these yer dat will get
all der niggers to feelin' bused, if Masir don't watch him!"
said Sambo.

"Hey-dey! The black cuss!" said Legree. "He'll have to
get a breakin' in, won't he, boys?"

Both negroes grinned a horrid grin, at this intimation.

"Ay, ay! Let Mas'r Legree alone, for breakin' in! De debil
heself