python 3?

Mike Beachy

Mar 8, 2011, 5:46:23 PM3/8/11
to Schrödinger Developer Forum
Hi all -

A question was raised today in internal discussions about when we should support python 3. We aren't supporting python 3 for our upcoming Suite 2011 release, and we probably won't consider it for Suite 2012 unless there is a strong customer demand for it and the packages we need are also supported.

So far I've heard very little demand, but scipy recently added support for python 3 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.9.0/) so it looks like this is getting closer to being feasible.

So, is python 3 on anybody's radar? Is there a real need for it, or conversely a real need to avoid it?

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Beachy | Schrodinger, Inc. | (212) 548-2350