School Uniforms

Ethel Capps

May 21, 2006, 8:01:12 AM5/21/06
to schoolu...@googlegroups.com
Claims that children will not envy others is false reasoning. There will
be numerous styles plus numerous pieces of the uniform. Students not
able to buy several pieces or who select a cheaper style will envy other
students.
Another argument is that students from rural districts that do not wear
uniforms tend to face failure in appropriate behaviors. That is
patently not true.
Teachers and administrators are the key to instilling proper behavior
and instilling pride in academic and social achievement.
Civil liberties should extend to children. They should be allowed to
choose their clothing under the guidance of their parents, not a
community's decision to impose uniforms on children.
This community where I live tried school uniforms and it failed
miserably. I once proposed uniforms for teachers and nearly got run
out of town on a rail. This is America, not China. Personal liberties
that do not inflict damage to others should be protected, not controlled
by any level of government.

Ethel Capps

May 21, 2006, 8:10:04 AM5/21/06
to schoolu...@googlegroups.com
I once proposed school uniforms for teachers. I was nearly kicked out
of the profession. Not one teacher agreed with me.
Children deserve the same personal liberty that teachers have.
Uniforms may instill a community pride, but they do not change
behavior. Teachers, parents, and enforcement of rules will improve
behavior. Students who cannot afford to wear all the items of such
uniforms are conscious of their inferior status among the popular
students and this can lead to resentment. This is America, not China.
We hold personal liberties as a right and depriving people of their
rights does not improve behavior.
Let's leave the uniforms to groups who voluntarily choose them.

Sam Carana

May 22, 2006, 12:48:12 AM5/22/06
to schoolu...@googlegroups.com
Good points, Ethel!
Schools that disrespect our rights teach the wrong values.

Sam Carana