humanopinion.org Education Award

Old Tom Joad

Dec 3, 2006, 11:39:16 AM12/3/06
to School Uniforms
Hopefully some people here will see the potential of the
humanopinion.org project.

Today, we do not record human opinion in a centralised manner which
produces a concrete data set of human opinion, that is free and
accessible to everyone. Allowing everyone to raise questions and
record their opinions. We are constantly fed statistics from
corporate, government and media sponsored polls, but we very rarely get
access to that data, it can not be verified. We believe that this is
essential in our new digital age to have an open platform for all.
Why?

Consider for a moment that over one billion people are currently
online. Imagine if a large number of the voiced their opinion in one
place, it would be impossible to ignore.

Even if it were possible to get as many people online voicing their
opinions in one place and it did cause positive change, we believe that
this would be but a by-product of the initiative. In the long term the
initiative's value lies is the data set that is created. It is
impossible to say how much social and scientific value a comprehensive
concrete data set on human opinion that is kept over time will have in
the future. However, we believe that it will be on significant value
to sociology, pyshcology, historians, politics, etc. We could mention
AI and the fact that there is no repository of our "humaness", values,
morals, ethics, etc that any rudimentary AI system could reference.
Rudimentary AI will be based on everything else, economics, maths,
evironmental data, etc, not humanity.

We are trying to get a ground swell of users and as with many Internet
initiatives that are not funded by venture capital and corporate money,
it is fairly hard :). We are just starting out and will be introducing
more poll types, granulation of results, etc in the next month. We
know there is a LOT more work to do and this is just the start.

We have taken what money we could invest personally and instead of
throwing it into print and digital marketing, we have created an
Education Award for the student or scholar who raises one of the best
questions on the platform. We would rather have our investment go
towards the development of a person instead of the landfill or Junk
Mail folder. So we are posting to relevant places and hoping that the
word about a £10000 award will spread on the Net.

Thanks for reading this plug, I hope you take a look, join, support the
project and spread the word.

Regards
Gary