Re: [SchoolUniformsDebate] When uniforms are 'voluntary'

Sam Carana

Jan 21, 2009, 9:17:22 PM1/21/09
to SchoolUnif...@yahoogroups.com, schoolu...@googlegroups.com, school-...@yahoogroups.com
Hi there, next time you seek to "reach consensus", tell the respective
school committee that Sam Carana is present, in spirit, with the
following position:

In research on school uniforms, time and again, one thing is
unequivocably clear, uniforms do NOT contribute to better education,
unless - as said - education is being confused with bootcamp drill
sergeant bullshit. The best education is often given by homeschooling,
not by sending children to school, whether public or private school.
Such homeschooling can take place in many settings other than school
and is typically assisted by parents without formal schoolteacher
training or qualifications. The evidence of the success of
homeschooling has been found in research dating back many years. Yet,
there are public school teachers who demand high salaries from society
for giving a second-rate education and - to throw salt into the wounds
- they seek to deny these obvious facts in their teachings, thus
engaging in indoctrination with falsifications of the truth.

If in education it was a matter of choice between discipline and
rights, then it should be obvious that educating people (students,
parents and school staff) about our rights is vastly more important
than enforcing disciplinary rules and regulations, the more so when
such disciplinary rules are imposed unnecessarily or - as happens all
too often - for the sake of invoking protests and subsequent
stigmatisation of specific students into scapegoats in an effort to
hide the failure of school management to properly educate students.
When school becomes a selection mechanism to expel the disobedient and
to mould the other (more gullible) students at impressionable age into
robots while nurturing a "befehl ist befehl" mentality, then school
has failed to educate. School should not pretend to educate, unless
the basis of school is to teach something good.

The overriding essence of rights is that they are not subject to
balancing or negotiation. Teachers who believes there is balance
between discipline and rights are not fit to educate, because there is
no such choice. By wearing normal clothes, one does not violate the
rights of others. On the other hand, imposing uniforms does violate
the rights of those who want to wear normal clothes and who want to
decide on a daily basis what to wear. That is the essence of the
matter! To suggest that people's rights could be taken away by
"consensus" decisions of public school committees is sickening. It is
our duty - students, parents, staff and all other people alike - to
stand up against such a perversion of our rights and of education by
implication. When the rights of one are taken, we are all violated!

School should resist being turned into an instrument of indoctrination
of dictatorial values. Rejecting uniforms in principle is a good way
to maintain good educational values. For what have we taught, if
students fail to respect even their own rights and if they parot a
denial of their own identity? The prior right to choose what education
their children should get is with their families, not with teachers
who fail to educate and instead bully everyone around them in their
lust to trample what is rightfully a decision for families to take.
Education should not take a student's identity away, but should
nurture students to develop their talents and their personality. If
students object against suppression of their identity, then expelling
a student for such an objection is nothing less than criminal when the
student have nowhere else to go. A school that does not embrace and
embed respect for our rights gives no education, since our rights
constitute the profound quintessence of education itself.

Given these obvious truths, parents who have children at schools with
optional uniforms should reconsider dressing their children in
uniform. They should stand up against the intrinsic suppression of
identity and the violation of rights that is so inherent in uniforms.
They should rise against this kind of bullying and ban uniforms from
school altogether. They should object against school turning into an
institute of evil that teaches the very opposite of what constitutes
education.

Cheers!
Sam Carana