How to install HP printer in BOSS Linux?

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Oct 9, 2011, 6:45:43 AM10/9/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Friends,
Computer labs are being built in various schools of our state, our school is one of them. There is a PC having BOSS linux and a HP printer model no. Laserjet M1213nf MFP. The CD supplied with it does not contain linux drivers. After googling I found linux driver from following site:
http://hplipopensource.com/

From here I downloaded hplip-3.11.10.run and ran it using sh command. It asked to download dependencies but the PC does not have internet connection.

Pls tell me how can I download dependencies from another PC, copy them and install on the target PC?

--
Shrish Benjwal Sharma (श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ePandit: http://epandit.shrish.in/

Narendra Sisodiya

Oct 9, 2011, 12:06:36 PM10/9/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM, ePandit | ई-पण्डित
<sharma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pls tell me how can I download dependencies from another PC, copy them and
> install on the target PC?

use my project !
http://code.google.com/p/debbundle/

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Oct 10, 2011, 12:17:17 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Narendra ji, I have some questions.
  1. The file OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator in download section have no extension. With what extension it should be saved to run?
  2. In the following command:
    $ ./OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator OutPutFilename PackageList

    What will be the name for PackageList for above printer driver? The drivers are on this website and sourceforge.
  3. In your blog post, you said:
    OneClickInstall package created from Ubuntu should be installed on Ubuntu itself.
    Does it mean that I have to install BOSS linux on my home PC (equipped with internet) to create the one click install file? My home PC have Ubuntu.
I am a linux novice, pls tell me all steps.

Narendra Sisodiya

Oct 10, 2011, 12:29:56 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM, ePandit | ई-पण्डित
<sharma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Narendra ji, I have some questions.
>
> The file OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator in download section have no extension.
> With what extension it should be saved to run?
> In the following command:

Linux do not need extension to run commands.
You can use
$ bash ./OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator OutPutFilename PackageList
So that shell script will be executed properly !!

> $ ./OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator OutPutFilename PackageList
>
> What will be the name for PackageList for above printer driver? The drivers
> are on this website and sourceforge.
> In your blog post, you said:
> OneClickInstall package created from Ubuntu should be installed on Ubuntu
> itself.

It is basically work for any system which use APT package management.
It only download from Ubuntu Server.

> Does it mean that I have to install BOSS linux on my home PC (equipped with
> internet) to create the one click install file? My home PC have Ubuntu.

First List down what are the dependancies ?
If they are from external world then download them. If they are from
Ubuntu/Debian Server then Use above Script.
I am using "apt-get install" method with extra parameters which tell
APT to download in a folder.
Normally deb files goes into /var/cache/apt/archives/ Folder.
Also synaptic package manager provide an option for downloading deb file.

Do you know what are the dependencies for installing hp files ???

> I am a linux novice, pls tell me all steps.
>
> 2011/10/9 Narendra Sisodiya <nare...@narendrasisodiya.com>
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM, ePandit | ई-पण्डित
>> <sharma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Pls tell me how can I download dependencies from another PC, copy them
>> > and
>> > install on the target PC?
>>
>> use my project !
>> http://code.google.com/p/debbundle/
>

> --
> Shrish Benjwal Sharma (श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> If u can't beat them, join them.
>
> ePandit: http://epandit.shrish.in/

--
┌─────────────────────────┐
│    Narendra Sisodiya

Narendra Sisodiya

Oct 10, 2011, 12:30:52 AM10/10/11
<sharma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends,
> Computer labs are being built in various schools of our state, our school is
> one of them. There is a PC having BOSS linux and a HP printer model no.
> Laserjet M1213nf MFP. The CD supplied with it does not contain linux

Does it have a .ppd file ?? all you need a ppd file

Narendra Sisodiya

Oct 10, 2011, 12:35:23 AM10/10/11
<sharma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends,
> Computer labs are being built in various schools of our state, our school is
> one of them. There is a PC having BOSS linux and a HP printer model no.
> Laserjet M1213nf MFP. The CD supplied with it does not contain linux

Does it have a .ppd file ?? all you need a ppd file

Narendra Sisodiya

Oct 10, 2011, 12:38:13 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
search ppd file !!

Also
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/debian.html
Show the dependency is

For Debian 6

sudo apt-get install libcups2 libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client
libcupsimage2 libcupsimage2-dev libdbus-1-dev g++ gs-esp libssl-dev
libjpeg62-dev libsnmp-dev libc6 libtool libusb-dev make python-imaging
policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dbus
python-gobject python-dev python-notify python python-reportlab sane
libsane-dev sane-utils xsane

So you can create bundle using

$ bash ./OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator OFFLINE_BUNDLE libcups2
libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client libcupsimage2 libcupsimage2-dev
libdbus-1-dev g++ gs-esp libssl-dev libjpeg62-dev libsnmp-dev libc6
libtool libusb-dev make python-imaging policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome
python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dbus python-gobject python-dev
python-notify python python-reportlab sane libsane-dev sane-utils
xsane

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Oct 10, 2011, 1:26:33 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Narendra ji, I have some questions.
  1. The file OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator in download section have no extension. With what extension it should be saved to run?
  1. In the following command:

  1. $ ./OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator OutPutFilename PackageList

  1. In your blog post, you said:
    OneClickInstall package created from Ubuntu should be installed on Ubuntu itself.
  1. Does it mean that I have to install BOSS linux on my home PC (equipped with internet) to create the one click install file? My home PC have Ubuntu.

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Oct 10, 2011, 2:04:01 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Do you know what are the dependencies for installing hp files ???

That is the main problem, how to find them?

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Oct 10, 2011, 2:06:26 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com

Linux do not need extension to run commands.

Still I think, you should upload the file with some extension (sh etc what it should be) so that it can be downloaded with right click easily. Right now, it opens in a webpage and has to be copied to a text editor and saved. If we save it using right click, it is saved as html file and again have to be copied to a text editor.

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Oct 10, 2011, 2:34:37 AM10/10/11
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Also tell me how to know the names of packages to download from Ubuntu repository, is there any web catalog?

Khaleel Gebran (a.k.a Zubair)

Oct 11, 2011, 8:38:07 AM10/11/11
to SchoolOS
You can use "save as" when saving such a file and give the extension
yourself, ex. .txt .sh .bin

There are hplip packages available on debian repo, I recommend you to
use them, as they integrate into the system, and BOSS is derived from
debian so they should work. But you do need to check which version of
debian is your BOSS derived from? (I think that would be oldstable/
lenny but I could be wrong) as there are 4 version in debian
go through the following links, and revert back..

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=hplip

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/BOSS_Linux

Off Topic-
I think we need a auto-package or something similar to .pbi installer
in PC-BSD.. which is like .msi/.exe file in windows and includes all
dependencies
Does apt-get has one?

autopackage does work on Linux, but the development is not going on
and it is being ignored, IMO..
and right now I am trying out PC BSD, looks interesting, since it is
"Off Line friendly" like debian..

Hope this helps..

On Oct 10, 11:34 am, ePandit | ई-पण्डित <sharma.shr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Also tell me how to know the names of packages to download from Ubuntu
> repository, is there any web catalog?

> > > --
> > > Shrish Benjwal Sharma (श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा)
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > If u can't beat them, join them.
>
> > > ePandit:http://epandit.shrish.in/
>
> > --
> > ┌─────────────────────────┐
> > │    Narendra Sisodiya
> > │    http://narendrasisodiya.com
> > └─────────────────────────┘
>
> --
> *Shrish Benjwal Sharma* *(श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा <http://hindi.shrish.in>)*
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> *If u can't beat them, join them.*
>
> ePandit <http://epandit.shrish.in/>:* *http://epandit.shrish.in/

Chinmaya patro

Apr 11, 2019, 8:52:31 AM4/11/19
to SchoolOS
hello everyone. i needed a help.

i have recently installed BOSS linux 7 on my pc. I have a canon pixma G3000 inktank printer which i need to install on the pc. I have downloaded the linux drivers from the canon website. However, being a novice, I have no clue as to how to install the downloaded drivers. In windows, it use to be simple like run the .exe file. Can anybody please help...?

Thanks
Chinmaya

Pravin Dhayfule

Apr 11, 2019, 9:42:08 AM4/11/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know there should be a .Run or. Deb file.  Or may be even a. Sh file in this downloaded bunch of files.

LiPuN @ cHiNmAyA

Apr 11, 2019, 9:53:02 AM4/11/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
ok. but what do i do with that deb file. i am a novice so kindly elaborate.
--
LiPuN....

Pravin Dhayfule

Apr 11, 2019, 10:41:17 AM4/11/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
The question was which of those three files exist in the folder.

LiPuN @ cHiNmAyA

Apr 11, 2019, 11:34:08 AM4/11/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Deb and sh files exist.

Pravin Dhayfule

Apr 12, 2019, 4:12:50 AM4/12/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Cool.
Just double click the deb file to run.  If it doesn't work,  just follow this https://wireframesketcher.com/support/install/installing-deb-package-on-ubuntu-debian.html

LiPuN @ cHiNmAyA

Apr 12, 2019, 2:00:16 PM4/12/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again.

I tried the link u sent, but still not able to install the printer. I've sent u the  screen shot of the terminal and the software downloaded.
Screenshot from 2019-04-12 23-28-02.png

LiPuN @ cHiNmAyA

Apr 12, 2019, 2:30:24 PM4/12/19
to scho...@googlegroups.com
Hey Pravin,

Disregard last message. Thanks a lot for ur help. Just got it installed. Downloaded the file, extracted it, right click , open in terminal, sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter2_5.30-1_amd64.deb cmd, then the driver was available in the printer app.

thanks a lot again for your help.

--
LiPuN....

Pravin Dhayfule