Thank you! and Happy holidays!

Jane Park

Dec 19, 2014, 3:07:01 PM12/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm restarting this mailing list again, as activity on the Discourse forum is minimal at best. Let's use whatever works for us, and for now that means email!

Things have been quiet of late, and CC has been in a transitional stage with a new CEO, etc., so I thought I'd shoot a note here before I take off for holiday for the rest of the year. Today is my last day and I'm back the week of 5 January.

I want to put out a HUGE thank you to all of you who have volunteered this year, led programs or courses, contributed to planning and development, attended events on behalf of SOO, contributed in other ways such as feedback on things like website and design, and generally been part of this great community of people.

Below I've pasted the blog post that is set to publish this upcoming Monday and scheduled as a mailing to the SOO announcements list. I can make changes by the end of today (PST) so feel free to send any additions or edits that may have slipped my brain. I tried to keep it short and sweet.

You'll note the changes I mention for 2015 -- more to come on that. I think what I'll do is send around a Doodle poll in early January so we can all get on a call and touch base and discuss. We haven't done that in a while!

Also, here's a short vid I taped for the CC fundraising campaign: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aD_Zr0ZfRBckUwOWZoZ0F1NHc/view?usp=sharing. I don't know if they're going to use it, but I wanted to share it with all of you anyway. Me saying thank you in person!

Otherwise, I hope you have a wonderful next couple of weeks and I look forward to catching up with everyone in 2015.

Best,
Jane

What School of Open volunteers accomplished in 2014

Jane Park, December 22nd, 2014

Another End of Year list, but one which I hope you’ll take to heart: the amazing accomplishments of the volunteers running School of Open programs around the world, comprised of the Creative Commons, P2PU, Mozilla, and related open communities.

SOO wreath
SOO logo on Holiday Wreath by Kelly Teague under CC BY-SA

This year, our community:

For 2015: Some changes are on the horizon. Mainly, we’ll be working to revamp our website to better support our volunteers wherever they are based, streamline the process for volunteers who want to run their own online courses, and re-strategize around what it means to develop and run a School of Open program. Above all, we want to increase our impact by combining forces with all open web and education advocates who are being leaders in their regions. Stay tuned…

On behalf of our intersecting communities, CC wishes you a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year!

See how far we’ve come:

--
Jane Park
@janedaily

Make a donation to support CC in 2015: http://bit.ly/supportcc2015

Simeon Oriko

Dec 19, 2014, 3:54:19 PM12/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Jane Park
Hello everyone!

Jane, just a personal note from myself, Jamlab, and SOO Kenya teams thanking you for the numerous ways you’ve supported and facilitated our programs this year.

Eternally grateful and looking forward to a great year ahead.

Happy holidays all!

Kind Regards,

Simeon Oriko

Simeon Oriko | Co-Founder & Executive Director

Web: www.jamlab.co.ke | Twitter: @JamlabHQ

Cell: +254 724 892 941 | Skype: simeonoriko
--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Susan Jones

Dec 24, 2014, 5:07:44 PM12/24/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
I jumped on board recently; I'm in adult ed and will be participating in a course devoted to OERs next semester so I'm testing the waters on things I find online...

Jane Park

Jan 5, 2015, 2:21:28 PM1/5/15
to school-of-open
Welcome Susan! Hope you find some relevant resources you are looking for. Don't forget to check out http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/courses/

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Mick FM

Jan 23, 2015, 5:22:13 AM1/23/15
to school-...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

I've got a day off from my teacher training course and wanted to share a bit about a project I did last year called Duct Tape Uni.

There's a video of me talking about it here at a showcase event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZta8tb-5-4

The work draws on the work I did a while ago creating P2PU / SOO courses collaboratively about Open Video and links to the Booksprint process. ( http://booksprints-for-ict-research.eu/ )

There's some reporting on the process with lots of photos here.
http://blog.ducttapeuni.org

Also, on a related note there's and interesting report on booksprints process here

Project Evaluative Research Report
Author: Rachel Baker

The Book Sprints methodology was an object of evaluative research within the BS4ICTRSRCH project. The report examines different aspects of Book Sprints, including facilitation, structure, collaboration and writing processes, social dynamics, software tools, book post-production and overall organisation.Download PDF fil

nice one
Mick

--
Mick Chesterman - mi...@flossmanuals.net