School Gardens at Community Schools?

HENRIKSEN, REBEKKA

Aug 18, 2022, 3:51:16 PM8/18/22
to SGSO Network
Hi everyone,

Are any of you part of a community school model? Our district is implementing this, and I have lots of ideas of how a school garden and curriculum can be integrated into a community school, but would love hear from colleagues already working within that model and what you have found works etc.

Thanks for considering!

Sincerely,

Rebekka Henriksen
Farm to School Projects Manager
Schenectady City School District
518-949-0520 (work mobile)
518-929-8590 (personal mobile)

Megan Zeni

Aug 18, 2022, 6:00:08 PM8/18/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Rebekka,

I'm in Canada, so maybe a different school context, however you may find the model we've designed to be fruitful. I teach entirely outdoors in the school garden, all year round and every student in the school receives two hours of instructional time per week outdoors. I am a practicing and qualified teacher, so my role is a continuing position at the school. You can read more about how we set up our position here: https://meganzeni.com/teaching-prep-outside/

Feel free to reach out of you have any other questions!

Megan