Garden Educator positions available throughout MDUSD (Contra Costa County, CA)

Laney Cline King

May 21, 2021, 5:30:17 PM5/21/21
to SGSO Network

Hello Everyone,

We are currently looking to fill several garden educator positions for the 2021/22 school year for our expanding Farm to School program!  The first position is quite unique, as it involves leading garden education lessons at field trips for students from all over our district.  We are hoping to find a bilingual Spanish speaking teacher for this position.  Our more general garden educator position is listed below.  Please spread the word and feel free to reach out with any questions.

Laney Cline King, LCSW

MDUSD Garden Education Program

laney...@gmail.com

415-341-4903

Riverview Middle School Garden Educator Position

The MDUSD Garden Education program is looking to hire a Garden Educator to develop and lead field trips for elementary school students at the 2-acre garden at Riverview Middle School in Bay Point for the 2021-2022 school year.  Our ideal educator is someone with teaching experience and garden knowledge/experience who can navigate a public school system well. The garden educator will be teaching garden, cooking & nutrition lessons to K-5 students, working to help train elementary classroom teachers in Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and teaching a novel curriculum that celebrates the contributions from African American, Latinx, and other underrepresented scientists and farmers.

Job duties and expectations include:

  • Field trip curriculum development
  • Lesson planning and delivery for 3 lessons/week
  • Garden improvements
  • Collaboration with the CARES After School Program, MDUSD Garden Education program, and MDUSD administration
  • Attending professional development workshops
  • Bilingual Spanish speaking, highly desirable
  • Enthusiastic about engaging and collaborating with the wider Bay Point community
  • Teaching credentials are welcome though not necessary
  • Background or interest in permaculture design is welcome, but not necessary

This is a part-time position, 3 days/week to lead field trips during the months of October through May, excluding December and January. The position is expected to start by September 1 for planning and lesson development. The Garden Educator will contract directly to MDUSD and must pass a background check including being fingerprinted.

If interested, please contact Laney Cline King, MDUSD Garden Program Co-Director, at laney...@gmail.com.

MDUSD Garden Educator Position

Teach Science in the Garden to K-5 Students! The MDUSD Garden Education program is looking to hire garden educators for the 2021-2022 school year.  Our ideal educator is someone with teaching experience and garden knowledge/experience who can navigate a public school system well. The garden educator will be teaching garden, cooking & nutrition lessons to K-5 students and working to help train our elementary classroom teachers in Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). A teaching credential is welcome though not necessary. This is a part-time position 2-3 days/week for a total of an equivalent of 24 weeks, spread into blocks in the fall, winter and spring. Garden, cooking & nutrition classes are held during the regular school day with classroom teachers also in attendance. Educators will contract directly to MDUSD and must pass a background check including being fingerprinted.
There is one middle school position garden educator position available, which involves a significant curriculum development component. The garden educator will be working collaboratively with Science teachers and Counseling staff to develop lessons aligned with both Next Generation Science Standards and Social-emotional learning.    If interested, please email Laney Cline King, MDUSD Garden Education Program Co-Director, at laney...@gmail.com.