Greenhouse as Classroom Space-- Flooring!

Erin Baumann

Nov 19, 2020, 11:54:10 AM11/19/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello,
I manage a school greenhouse (25'x100') that serves as a growing space, tool storage, and classroom space. Currently, students sit on sitting pads on top of stones, which is a distraction to many students and creates a lot of dust.

I'm looking for suggestions for what to replace our floor with, ideally something with fewer distractions, is washable, and is semi-removable (our irrigation system runs underground). We are only looking to replace the flooring in the classroom section-- leaving the stones in the rest of the greenhouse.

A picture of our greenhouse is attached for context.
IMG-2540.jpg

Thank you!
Erin Baumann
Walking Mountains Science Center
Sowing Seeds Coordinator

Moses Thompson

Nov 19, 2020, 6:08:59 PM11/19/20
to Erin Baumann, School Garden Support Organization Network
This is a tough one, but could premium quality synthetic turf work? It has holes so it drains, is soft to sit on, isn't dusty, and could be rolled up to address plumbing underneath.

Sadly the good stuff isn't cheap, ~$2 per square foot.

image.png

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

Chapman, Harold

Nov 20, 2020, 9:32:11 AM11/20/20
to Erin Baumann, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Erin,

I would suggest a floating subfloor over the gravel floor of your greenhouse. Alternatively, you could use a product like this to provide a solid surface for students to work on. Good luck!

In Health,

Harold Chapman, M. Ed* (preferred pronouns he/him, read more here
Cluster Manager | Agriculture/Horticulture, Culinary Arts, Digital Media and Broadcast Media
Early College and Career Education/CTE
Office of College and Career Success | Chicago Public Schools
42 W. Madison Chicago, IL 60602

CPS District Response to COVID-19:  The news surrounding COVID-19 can be alarming and confusing. Take care of your health and others by following these recommended steps.
More updates and information can be found at www.cps.edu/coronavirus

Susanne Zilberfarb

Nov 20, 2020, 1:11:11 PM11/20/20
to Chapman, Harold, Erin Baumann, School Garden Support Organization Network
When I worked for my state's soybean board, we provided a grant for a soy-based artificial turf product to be used for this type of situation. You may want to look into grant opps for it from soy or grain groups. Good luck!

--

Susanne Zilberfarb
Now sipping coffee and checking emails at