Whole Child/Student Voice: Supporting Students in Gardens

Erica Curry

Apr 28, 2021, 5:05:30 PM4/28/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello Garden Advocates!

I'm excited to share the FoodCorps Power Of Student Voice and Choice: Integrating Whole Child Into Food Education action brief that went public last week. See the summary below. Hopefully the recommendations included in the brief will be helpful for school garden practitioners, especially as we all work with schools as they navigate re-opening and support students that have experienced trauma over the last year.

Warmly,

Erica

Student Voice and Choice Action Brief Summary

Schools across the country have been challenged this year as communities continue to grapple with COVID-19 and its effects on families, our public institutions, and the ways we interact and engage with one another. Communities of color and families living in poverty have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 and all students have faced trauma by disruptions to their daily lives. Regardless of when schools return to regular, in-person instruction, students will be feeling the effects of this pandemic for a long time.

FoodCorps’ new report, The Power of Student Voice & Choice: Integrating Whole Child Into Food Education, highlights why this is a key moment to ground education in human development by taking a whole child approach to learning that accounts for the many different ways in which young people grow and thrive. This brief is primarily intended for anyone working with students in a school environment—particularly in the classroom, garden, and cafeteria. However, many of these topics can also be adapted to home learning environments and used to inform school reopening plans. Our hope is that by implementing the practices, together, we can advance student health and well-being, honor student voices and community identities, and ultimately ensure that all kids are given the chance to thrive. Please reach out to Erica Curry with questions about the brief: erica...@foodcorps.org

Erica Curry | FoodCorps
| she/her
FoodCorps.org