Sustaining School Gardens Programming - What it Takes?

John Fisher

Jan 26, 2021, 11:01:14 AM1/26/21
to school-garden-network
Greetings School Garden Leaders,

What are the key elements, practices, and program models that lead to sustaining school gardens? I wish I had a simple answer!

What I do know is that each successful School Garden Support Organization (SGSO) and School Garden has its own unique mix of elements and practices that lead to success.

As part of the upcoming SGSO VIrtual Leadership Institute, Working Group A will be identifying and then sharing examples of what leads to school garden organization success. We will be enhancing the Best Practices resources related to Sustaining and Institutionalizing School Gardens Programs that were compiled as part of our first SGSO Leadership Institute in 2016 and sharing our findings via a Virtual Presentation on Sustaining & Institutionalizing School Garden Programming - March 10, 11am PST / 2 pm EST

I am reaching out to established SGSOs to ask you to share what has worked for your program. Our working group leaders have created the following survey that will help our working group team identify success stories related to the following program elements:
  • Staffing Support and Staffing Models
  • Funding
  • Implementation & Program Models that create Quality Student Experiences
  • Partnerships & Buy In
Please consider taking 10-15 minutes of your time to share strengths of your organization in this SGSO Case Study survey. You don't have to answer all the survey questions, just the elements that you'd consider the greatest strengths of your programming.

Please complete the survey by the end of day Tuesday, February 2nd. Thanks!

Be well,

-- JOHN
John Fisher - Director of Programs & Partnerships - 831.471.7831 - lifelab.org/john
Life Lab cultivates children's love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education.
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with locations in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, CA