breakfast and school gardens

Ullery, Sam (OSSE)

Aug 9, 2019, 9:46:38 AM8/9/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Is anyone connecting school garden programs to the goal of increasing breakfast participation? I’m interesting in learning about any creative ways that schools are leveraging school garden programs to increase breakfast participation. Thanks for sharing ideas/ leads!

Sam Ullery

Pam Hosimer

Aug 21, 2019, 1:27:38 PM8/21/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Sam,

Connecting breakfast to the school garden is something I never thought about before. I like it! My students do not grow anything in their school gardens (at least so far) that would be a good breakfast food. However, they do eat a lot of local apples in September and October that are donated by an orchard down the street from where I live. A lot of my classes make applesauce in the classroom. I wonder if my teachers would be interested in making the applesauce for breakfast this year? That would smell so good as students arrived at school on a chilly fall day...

Pam Hosimer