Garden Sinks

HENRIKSEN, REBEKKA

Dec 8, 2022, 9:02:26 AM12/8/22
to SGSO Network
Good morning, I am researching sink systems for school gardens. Does anyone have a set up that you really like, and have a cost estimate you could provide? Something to note - most of my sites are unfenced/unlocked so I am interested in systems that are relatively sturdy and I could cut water to if necessary. Not sure if those exist but...

Thanks for your insights my friends!

Rebekka Henriksen
Farm to School Projects Manager
Schenectady City School District
518-949-0520 (work mobile)
518-929-8590 (personal mobile)

Judith Fallows

Dec 8, 2022, 10:06:26 AM12/8/22
to HENRIKSEN, REBEKKA, SGSO Network
we have sinks in our gardens that are made for camping and fishing from Amazon:

it costs $149, plus we purchased hoses suitable for potable water and attach them to an outdoor faucet directly. They can be turned off of course, and only turned on when in use. This should meet the standards of your health department with some procedures in place if you want to go that far for approval. Kids can also wash their hands, we use a bar of soap in a stocking tied to the table, it lasts quite a while. This also enables kids to wash off their radishes before consuming in the garden if that's what you would require. The waste water runs into a bucket which can then be used to water the garden.

judy

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

When writing or responding, please remember that any email sent or received by an employee of the Watertown Public Schools is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, M.G.L. c.66.  This email message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information covered under the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or other student records laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, print, copy, disseminate or otherwise use this email (or any attachments) or any part thereof.  If you have received this email (and any attachments) in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies from your system.

Linda Hulen

Dec 8, 2022, 11:47:42 AM12/8/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Judith & Rebekka -- This is an interesting discussion. Having a sink in our outdoor garden would be a nice addition, and the sink Judith is using sounds cost-effective and usable.  We could definitely connect something like this to our outdoor spigot to use with needed. Like Rebekka, however, our garden is unfenced. Vandalism hasn't been much of a problem, but we keep our hoses and sprinkler locked in a shed that volunteers access and set up to water in summer.

I fear that a sink like this could walk unless it can be chained/locked in place. Is there a way to secure the sink? (Alaska has lots of hunters and fishers and something like this might appeal to some unscrupulous person(s) on their way to a weekend fishing cabin!)

Thanks, Linda

Joelle Kohn

Dec 8, 2022, 12:22:37 PM12/8/22
to HENRIKSEN, REBEKKA, SGSO Network
Here is our sink set up. We flipped it around so little TK and kindergartners could reach. We hook this up to our outdoor water spigot upon verification that it would be safe for handwashing and food washing but not for drinking. It has worked out well although we have had to replace the faucet. It is similar to the one previously posted… A fisherman‘s outdoor table but with only one sink instead of the double. We use eco-friendly handwashing soap and are able to water our trees and ornamentals with the reclaimed water.
Joelle Kohn
Facebook.com/ChaparralGarden
--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.
E41A9300-E1E7-48FB-8F93-58FCC5C6751B.jpeg