Resource Round Up: Equity and Inclusion in Garden Education

Whitney Cohen

Feb 1, 2021, 3:28:10 PM2/1/21
to SGSO Network
Hi friends near and far,

Someone recently shared with me this wonderful video of Dr. Camara Phyllis Jones presenting on Dismantling Racism in the Children and Nature Movement at the 2020 Children and Nature Network's Inside-Out Leadership Summit. I highly recommend the entire presentation, and will particularly note that she shares a really powerful garden analogy that helps highlight the meaning of structural, internalized, and personally-mediated racism. The garden analogy starts around minute 29. The Children and Nature Network is also hosting a workshop on Building a Diverse, Equitable and Inclusive Movement on Feb 23.

On a related note, as many of you know, we are coming up on a virtual National SGSO Leadership Institute, starting in late January. One working group at the Institute will be focused on organizing resources like this, focused on strengthening equity and inclusion in garden education. We know there are amazing resources in the collective wisdom held by all of you! If you have thoughts or questions on this topic, and/or favorite resources like the one above that you are open to sharing publicly with the rest of the SGSO Network, we hope that you will take some time to share them with us, so that we can organize them to share out with the broader network. We’ll be sharing these tools on a webinar on April 7 at 11am Pacific Time, and also with some written, online resources that we’ll post here for all to reference any time.

If you have questions or resources to contribute, please go to this google form between now and February 19th to share your thoughts or tools. Each contributed resource will be credited with the source, and we will not modify them in any way. Imagine the incredible resource we could all create together in support of SGSOs looking to strengthen equity and inclusion in garden education! I hope you'll find time to hop in and share any of your favorite resources.

Gardens of Gratitude,
Whitney

Whitney Cohen (pronoun: she)
Education Director, Life Lab
educ...@lifelab.org
831-459-5395
See how we’re changing the nature of education!