PLEASE SHARE! Regional School Garden Guides

sam.ullery

Jan 31, 2018, 1:41:21 PM1/31/18
to National School Garden Network
Hi All,

I'm looking for examples of regional (State, City, District, doesn't matter) guides that support school gardens. I am finally getting around to creating one for DC, I'm curious what others included in their guides (thanks to Andy at Slow Food USA for reminding me that this is key to sustaining a regional program).

Bonus if your guide support schools across multiple districts, I'm looking for examples of how others navigated this.

Send me your links!

Sam

Kendal Chavez

Jan 31, 2018, 1:44:05 PM1/31/18
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Sam I'd love to see what you compile! Mind sharing once you collect info? Many thanks.

--
Kendal Chavez
Farm to School Program

Farm to Table - Promoting locally based agriculture through education, community outreach, and networking.

---

John Fisher

Feb 5, 2018, 1:01:41 PM2/5/18
to National School Garden Network
Hi Sam, Here is California's Garden for Learning: Creating and Sustaining Your School Garden guide we wrote a few years back. It is more of a book on creating and sustaining school gardens than a regional planning guide but the chapters outline what most guides have in them.

Here are some more that I have come across that focus a bit more on regional resources:

- John

Sam Ullery (OSSE)

Apr 26, 2021, 6:16:33 PM4/26/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi All,
I'm happy to resurrect this thread with the announcement that The United States Botanic Garden (USBG), the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE), and City Blossoms just released the newly developed guidance document  “Growing Strong: A Comprehensive Guide to Support All School Garden Programs in the District”. It includes information on:
  • Starting a new school garden;
  • Maintaining an existing school garden; and
  • Providing high-quality garden-based instruction.
Please take time to check it out! We hope this document is useful as you engage students in garden-based learning.
One of the goals of this guide was to provide a model to other SGSOs to develop similar guides. I hope this is useful and please share similar documents that you've created to support school gardens in your region!
Sam