Garden Damage Reduction

Dana Scheffen

Mar 29, 2022, 11:54:22 AM3/29/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Good morning,

Does anyone have any information you can share regarding the reduction of garden break-ins without the involvement of law enforcement? Programming, educational efforts, signage, meeting community needs, ect?

A little bit of specific context: We currently have a fence around the garden and volunteers are there daily during the growing season. We do have summer programming but it is only during the day. No foods appear to be harvested (other than the foods they smash) by the people who are doing the damage. They usually break things, which to me implies that they are seeking a sense of camaraderie. Those breaking in have been seen before and they do not attend our school.

If there are past threads on this topic please feel free to direct me towards them.

Thank you,
Dana

--
Dana Scheffen
Doubly Good Flower Farm

"Dandelion's impetuous blossoming is Nature's never-ending reminder that diversity is favored, and therefor rules."  -James Green

Shital Parikh

Mar 29, 2022, 12:46:03 PM3/29/22
to Dana Scheffen, School Garden Support Organization Network
Oh this is so sad.
I've never faced this so, just a thought without experience to back it.

Put up a sign with friendly graphics saying something to the effect:

To our mystery Garden Gnomes/ elves/ wild ones:
We noticed you are visiting our garden.
We would love for you to join us for some food and fun garden activities.  State days and times.

Shital Parikh
Master Gardener, School Garden Consultant
"To plant a garden, is to believe in tomorrow" Audrey Hepburn

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

Dana Scheffen

Mar 29, 2022, 1:01:25 PM3/29/22
to Shital Parikh, School Garden Support Organization Network
Shital,

Thank you for the fun sign suggestions! We actually did have some success with signage last fall, but nothing permanent (a paper handwritten note explaining that the food is used to feed the students at our school) was put up, so it's hard to measure how long it could have been effective for. Would love to hear from others that have tried this approach.

Harold,

Thank you too for your response. I am very interested in "building community beyond participants." I understand that the needs of each community are different, but could you direct me towards any programming or stories you could share that worked for your farms?

Thanks all,
Dana

Jennifer Yoder

Mar 29, 2022, 1:09:16 PM3/29/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
I'm sorry to hear this is happening! This happens periodically at some of our gardens as well. One site saw a huge reduction in vandalism when they put up a decoy security camera in a very obvious place (looks real, but isn't.)

Otherwise, I like signs welcoming all people into the garden, emphasizing that the garden belongs to the kids/people who garden there, and asking that any visitors enjoy the space but be respectful.

Sometimes the feeling of being "kept out" can make people want to break-in. Sometimes it's just angst.

Jenni Yoder
Program Coordinator
Global Gardens

Dana Scheffen

Mar 29, 2022, 2:06:57 PM3/29/22
to Jennifer Yoder, School Garden Support Organization Network
Thank you for the suggestions Jennifer. It would be interesting to hear from schools that do not have fences around their gardens. And if that reduces that feeling of being left out that you mentioned.

-Dana

Sorrell Redford

Mar 29, 2022, 3:38:17 PM3/29/22
to Dana Scheffen, Jennifer Yoder, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi,
We have 7 school/community gardens, some fenced some in fenced and honestly, the vandalism is the same in both situations. We have found crack pipes in one garden, we had to tell the police because the garden is on school property. We have reduced the damage in most gardens by making them more beautiful. It seems there is a correlation between the better looking the gardens, the less vandalism. One of our gardens is right behind a very dilapidated trailer park and we’ve noticed that when the garden is blooming and we’ll taken care of, there is less vandalism than in winter when it’s not looking it’s best. At another garden that is fenced in, we had kids (12 years ish) jump the fence, cut the hose lines, tear stuff out, smash things and we waited until the kids came back late one afternoon and we yelled “come in here and get to work!” And they did! The school let us know they had been breaking in every night for three nights in a row so it was predictable.
Anyway, I hope that helps. We’ve accepted that vandalism is just part of community gardening. Sometimes engaging with the vandals works well and other times that would be dangerous and not productive. I like to think that if you take pride in the area, hopefully others will too.
Sorrell

--
Sorrell Redford
Education Manager

Denise Rowcroft

Mar 29, 2022, 5:10:28 PM3/29/22
to Sorrell Redford, Dana Scheffen, Jennifer Yoder, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello!

Our garden is open - fence along 2 sides, shrubs/trees bordering the other side, decorative fence along front, wide open entry and rear gate opening (with no gate). It is not a school garden on school property, but a youth learning garden adjacent to the downtown area of our community. Specifically next to a parking lot, and nearby a church that provides services to the houseless community 1x/week.

When we first started the garden kids were concerned people would come and pick what they had grown. We came up with the idea to them grow things anyone could pick. We have 6 long thin beds between the sidewalk and street, out in front of the decorative fence, that we call the “Pick-Me Garden Beds”. We grow strawberries, peas, radishes and greens, and put up Pick Me signs when they are ready to be harvested. I believe this helps.

We’ve seen very little vandalism over the years, though I regularly find some trash, random donations/things, and a few times a year have to clean up some gross stuff. However I think it is generally respected by the community, passer bys, and houseless
folks that are local to the area.
Happy to share pics.
Good luck,
Denise Rowcroft
Garden for Every School program
The Environmental Center
Bend, OR
Envirocenter.org/schoolgardens

Sent from my iPhone

Patti Berryhill

Mar 30, 2022, 12:51:20 PM3/30/22
to Denise Rowcroft, Sorrell Redford, Dana Scheffen, Jennifer Yoder, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi All,

This has been an interesting conversation to follow. In one district, we have nine edible gardens (and nine native gardens). Some of the edible gardens are fenced in, one even has had to have a padlock on the gate (the gate is also kept locked). This one has the most vandalism and has all year. Someone even tried to set fire to the MUR next to the garden. Those students were caught and the vandalism there seems to have stopped.

We have gardens where the neighbors, even with signs, feel entitled to harvest whatever they want. Many of the plants are used in our lessons and the rest is donated.

We  find the worst vandalism is done after a break. I suppose the kids are either unsupervised or bored. Or both. The District has asked us to document any vandalism and report it to them. Police reports have been filed. The District got funding for security cameras on all the campuses and hopefully some will be installed by the gardens.

Good luck,
Patti

Garden Lead
Living Classroom

--
Patti Berryhill
Garden Lead

Dana Scheffen

Apr 1, 2022, 9:22:52 AM4/1/22
to Patti Berryhill, Denise Rowcroft, Sorrell Redford, Jennifer Yoder, School Garden Support Organization Network
Thanks for your input everyone. I will discuss it with our garden committee and do some brainstorming with the kids and see what everyone comes up with.

-Dana Scheffen