Life Lab 2020 Workshop Schedule

Manny Romero

Feb 14, 2020, 4:50:10 PM2/14/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Environmental Educators,

Our Life Lab 2020 Workshops are live and ready for ya! Check out our website to register and learn more.

Join Us For a 2020 Life Lab Garden Classroom Workshop

 Meet and learn from other garden-based educators

 Be inspired by our model educational Garden Classroom Site

 Enjoy a delicious, fresh meal

 Take home lessons and resources to use in the garden or classroom

10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied in check-out process for workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date

School Garden Program Sustainability - March 6, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM  -  $180.00/$200.00 - Graduate education credit available.

Why do some school gardens take root and become well-established, while others struggle? In this workshop, we will discuss key elements of building a strong school garden culture. Together, we’ll explore different, sustainable school garden program models; planning tools to align year-round garden activities with academic and garden care goals; methods for assessing garden programs; and strategies for increasing funding.

The Growing Classroom - March 19 & 20, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM  -  $360.00/$400.00 - Graduate education credit available.

Learn to use a garden to breathe life into standards-based lessons, promote ecological literacy, encourage healthy eating, and support students’ social development. Using Life Lab’s The Growing Classroom activity guide for grades K-6, participants in this hands-on workshop, experience tried-and-true garden-based lessons linked to Common Core Language Arts and Math and Next Generation Science Standards; practice basic gardening techniques; and develop management strategies for a school garden program.

Responsive Classroom Management in the Outdoors - April 3, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM - $180.00/$200.00 - Graduate education credit available.

How can we possibly manage 30 students in an Outdoor Classroom?! Participants in this workshop will explore best practices for establishing and maintaining a positive, engaging culture of learning and fun in a garden setting. Together we will experience and discuss setting the tone for equitable and inclusive instruction; garden class routines; station rotations; and specific techniques to maximize student engagement and participation.

NGSS in the Garden - April 16 & 17, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM  -  $360.00/$400.00 - Graduate education credit available.

Bring Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) to life in the garden! Using lessons from Life Lab’s updated NGSS-aligned curriculum, participants in this workshop will learn how to use the garden as a way to explore the integration of science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts. Where better to learn about ecological interdependence, growth and development of organisms, structure and function, adaptation, and the environmental impact of human activity than in the garden? The workshop will include a brief introduction to the 3 dimensions of NGSS; model NGSS lessons in the garden; NGSS strategies like Science Talks or Science Notebooking activities that can extend a variety of garden lessons; and time to develop and/or modify existing lessons to be more aligned to NGSS.

The Growing Classroom - July 23 & 24, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM  -  $360.00/$400.00 - Graduate education credit available.

Learn to use a garden to breathe life into standards-based lessons, promote ecological literacy, encourage healthy eating, and support students’ social development. Using Life Lab’s The Growing Classroom activity guide for grades K-6, participants in this hands-on workshop, experience tried-and-true garden-based lessons linked to Common Core Language Arts and Math and Next Generation Science Standards; practice basic gardening techniques; and develop management strategies for a school garden program.

Plant to Plate - September 11, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM  -  $180.00/$200.00 - Graduate education credit available.

Make the connection from seed to table in this fun and delicious workshop. Using tried-and-true Life Lab lessons and recipes for grades K-8, participants explore effective ways to teach nutrition and encourage kids to eat more fruits and vegetables through hands-on activities with food, including harvesting and meal preparation.

NGSS in the Garden - September 24 & 25, 2020
[...]

Sowing the Seeds of Wonder - October 24, 2020
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM  -  $180.00/$200.00 - Graduate education credit available.

Spend a day looking at the garden through the eyes of a young child. Using a variety of Life Lab resources, including, Sowing the Seeds of Wonder activity guide for early childhood, participants in this workshop will sample activities designed to encourage young children to learn about the world using their senses. We will practice basic gardening and cooking skills; discuss safe and age-appropriate garden design; and learn garden art projects and songs. Together we will experience and discuss creating a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be successful and feel empowered to act in positive ways.

Why Invest in Life Lab's Professional Development?

Bring Us To Your Site!

In addition to our on-site workshops, we also offer customizable workshops that can be brought to you! Visit HERE to learn more about how we can support your meaningful work in school gardens at your site.

Financial Assistant Available

Life Lab provides a limited number of workshop fee reductions based on need and anticipated impact. Download an application at our Garden Classroom workshop page.

We're Changing the Nature of Education

After attending a Life Lab Workshop:

90% of educators saw a marked improvement in their students' enthusiasm for learning, confidence, cooperation, creativity, and other skills that extend beyond academics.
92% of educators saw a marked improvement in their students' healthy eating choices.
94% of educators saw a marked improvement in their motivation to engage students in hands-on experiential learning.
88% of educators saw a marked improvement in their motivation to bring kids outside.

See how we are Changing the Nature of Education

Life Lab has provided training for tens of thousands of educators and programs.
See where we have been!