high school garden educators unite? :)

amber tidwell

Mar 29, 2021, 7:39:03 PM3/29/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello, I teach a gardening and foods elective class at a charter high school in Southern Oregon that serves high-risk youth. The program is brand new. and as one might imagine-- off to a challenging start , given an all on line fly by the seat of my pants curriculum so far this year. We are about to begin a hybrid model.I am looking for other high school garden educators or outdoor cooking class teachers to connect with.
Thanks!!
Amber
School Garden Educator
ATI
Phoenix, OR

Karen Wagner (OR GEM)

Mar 29, 2021, 9:09:29 PM3/29/21
to amber tidwell, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Amber - I'm not an expert in either arena,  but expect something similar to land in my lap and would like to learn along with you.  Any bites or brilliant lights out there??

Karen Wagner

F2S/SG Educ Mgr & Procurement Lead
541-429-2688
farmtos...@slcww.org

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

Janet Boyd

Mar 29, 2021, 11:11:37 PM3/29/21
to amber tidwell, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Amber,

I’m a community volunteer for this program in Alberta, Canada. Might be some ideas on the website. They have a great program!

Pam Hosimer

Mar 31, 2021, 9:00:35 AM3/31/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Amber,

Sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity! I have a possible idea for you, but first I'd like to know what you mean by "outdoor cooking class"? A table outside showing how to make a garden fresh salad? Or cooking on a campfire or grill? I'd like to understand what you are planning to do.

Kind regards,
Pam

rebecca lemos

Mar 31, 2021, 9:37:31 AM3/31/21
to Pam Hosimer, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Pam,

I've created similar high school programs before. It can be so much fun and there's a ton to explore. Here are some orgs that it might help to check out:

1. East New York Farms. They have a bunch of resources about their program. Here's one: file:///Users/rebeccalemos/Downloads/ENYF%20Growing%20Young%20Leaders%20FINAL%20for%20web.compressed%20(1).pdf

2. City Blossoms - Youth Entrepreneurship Cooperative Program AKA Mighty Greens. They are putting out a manual later this year but they are a youth-run business that works out of two school gardens/greenhouses. https://cityblossoms.org/youth-entrepreneurship-cooperative. Make sure to check out their instagram as well @mightygreensdc. Their program manager Lauren Newman is probably down to chat with you too or share other resources.

3. Food What?! https://www.foodwhat.org/ is on the west coast and may be worth checking out.

4. Food Project - https://thefoodproject.org/institute/ This is one of the few groups I know that offer more intensive in depth professional development for youth gardening programming. I don't know if they are currently offering anything but worth checking into.

5. Finally Grow Dat! is definitely worth a look. https://growdatyouthfarm.org/

Curricula to look at:
- French Fries and Food Systems
- Growing Together

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Gracias,
Rebecca Lemos-Otero

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.

ebke...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2021, 3:24:58 PM3/31/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Great recommendations! I also just met a farm/garden/food educator from Common Ground High School in New Haven, CT (https://commongroundct.org/farm/how-we-farm/), who said she'd be happy to talk with anyone. Here's her email:

Gretchen Doering

Apr 9, 2021, 9:54:43 AM4/9/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Amber!
I am currently only teaching K-3, but from 2015-2020 I was teaching K-12 cooking and gardening, and one school year taught a high school Seed to Table elective that included a day in the garden, a day in the classroom, and a day in the kitchen. Happy to connect if you have specific questions or want to talk.

amber tidwell

Apr 10, 2021, 11:52:39 AM4/10/21
to Gretchen Doering, School Garden Support Organization Network
Good morning Monique
(and everyone else),
Yes, a syllabus from someone who has done this type of program before would be dreamy!
This term, I have decided to mostly focus on the garden with a small outdoor cooking lesson or two towards the end of the term. Next year, however, I will be teaching one Garden class and one "Foods/Culinary" class. During 2nd term this year, which was all online, I focused on Food Systems, marketing, and personal food choices and was actually cooking with my students virtually, synchronously and asynchronously. For those lessons, I drew quite a bit from the "Cooking with Curiosity" curriculum from Edible Schoolyard, which is a great resource if you don't know it yet.

I will definitely be doing my best to connect with other middle/high school educators this Summer to design my syllabus for the year and am happy to collaborate and share as I go.
FYI- I am coming to this work with no formal training in gardening, cooking or formal education!!! My own education has solely been experiential,  through my own lifestyle choices and my long-time work with our local Farm to School programs. This program is brand new, being built solely by me. I'm at home in gardens, kitchens, and working with teens, but working in "formal" (albeit alternative) education is a huge leap for me on many fronts! So, that's my disclaimer :)

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/school-garden-network/8d8a2a63-3444-44cd-812c-2d00d336fe14n%40googlegroups.com.

amber tidwell

Apr 10, 2021, 1:33:03 PM4/10/21
to Karen Wagner (OR GEM), School Garden Support Organization Network
HELLO AGAIN! SO, I FEEL LIKE I AM MAKING SOME GREAT TRACTION IN MY PLANNING PROCESS FOR CAMPUS LESSONS THIS SPRING, WITH MANY THANKS TO SO MANY AWESOME RESPONSES AND RESOURCE REFERRALS! THAT SAID, THE PLACE THAT I AM STILL STRUGGLING IS THAT IN ADDITION TO MY CAMPUS CLASSES,  I WILL HAVE A FEW (YES, 1-3 ) STUDENTS FOR ONLINE CLASSES AND I AM REALLY NEEDING TO STREAMLINE SOME ONLINE LESSONS FOR THESE STUDENTS. I HAVE SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW FOR ONLINE GARDEN LESSONS FOR TEENS AND I JUST CONTINUE TO MODIFY OR CREATE THEM FROM SCRATCH... WITH MOST KIDS BACK TO CAMPUS THIS TERM, I REALLY DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT.. SO I AM STILL SEEKING LINKS TO MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL ONLINE CURRICULUM. THANK YOU!! :)