Zero Waste Composting and Recycling Resources for Schools

Greg Ellis

Jan 29, 2018, 1:25:15 PM1/29/18
to National School Garden Network
Hi all,
One Cool Earth, a school garden support organization in San Luis Obsipo County, CA, has created a Zero Waste resource kit developed through National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration grant funding in 2016-2017.  To support the adoption of Zero Waste practices at schools everywhere, One Cool Earth created a free, DIY Guide to Zero Waste.  The concise, step-by-step handbook on how to cultivate a trash-free school is available at http://www.onecoolearth.org/zero-waste.html. The guide includes easy-to-understand graphics and training videos (starring SLO County students) so schools have everything they need to get their own compost and recycling systems up and running.

At the original school where we implemented the program, we realized annual savings of $3000 in reduced waste hauling costs (since recycling is free, and we increased diversion rates), and increased diversion rates to 50%.  Our story of how students creatively brought awareness to the unsustainable use of styrofoam trays, eventually leading to their replacement, is here: http://www.onecoolearth.org/why-gardens/micheals-story

For more information, contact One Cool Earth: 805-242-6301 or act...@onecoolearth.org.  Follow our day-to-day activities at www.facebook.com/onecoolearth and visit www.onecoolearth.org to learn more and take action.

Greg Ellis

Executive Director
One Cool Earth

Earth Genius | Powered by One Cool Earth
Every Child Deserves A Place To Grow!

Beth Thiel

Jan 29, 2018, 1:39:27 PM1/29/18
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
this is a fabulous resource!  thank you so much for sharing.

Beth