Accessible but permeable paving for gardens?

sunday....@greenthumbsto.org

Jul 1, 2024, 6:11:57 PMJul 1
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Does anyone have a recommended material for paving or surfacing in gardens that allow water infiltration but are ADA compliant?

Malia Demers

Jul 8, 2024, 9:32:15 AM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi all! This article from Kids Gardening may be helpful: https://kidsgardening.org/resources/designing-a-school-garden-designing-accessible-garden-paths/ - particularly the Crushed stone/driveway gravel.

Hannah Ball-Damberg

Jul 8, 2024, 12:20:04 PM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi there,

We recently installed ADA-accessible pathways in a new garden at the Durham Public Schools Hub Farm using GeoCell to stabilize the ground and gravel screenings packed down into the GeoCell - something like this and this (scroll down to "Dry Screenings" - I do think crush and run could work, too.)

I'd also reach out to any garden users who use wheelchairs to get feedback about what they think would work best for them, or occupational therapists who work in/around your organization. We received helpful guidance from both during our process. Hope that helps!

Best,

Hannah Ball-Damberg
DPS Hub Farm Educator