"Remarkable People" in ag and wildlife

awr...@mountainsongschool.com

Apr 7, 2021, 6:16:03 PM4/7/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Greetings! I am the Ag Arts teacher for a K-8 school in Colorado. I am planning Pt. 2 of a "Remarkable People" unit for my 2nd grade students that focuses on influential figures in the world of agriculture, wildlife, and nature. Some of the people we studied last semester include George Washington Carver, Temple Grandin, Jane Goodall, Rachel Carson, and Chef Jose Andres.

Does anyone have any ideas for other influential figures that we might include in this unit? My co-teacher and I are using this unit as a way to focus on diversity, so we are especially interested in women and people of color. Thanks!

Adam Wright
Ag Arts Program Coordinator
Mountain Song Community School

Kathryn Brignac

Apr 7, 2021, 7:12:42 PM4/7/21
to awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Adam,

Sounds awesome! A few folks who come to mind are - I noted if there are kid's books that I know about them!

- Rowen White, indigenous seed keeper network
-Sean Sherman, the Sioux Chef
-Fannie Lou Hamer, Civil rights activist and founder of Freedom Farm Cooperative
-Shirely Sherrod, New Communities land trust, Federation of Southern Cooperatives
-Will Allen - urban farmer (Book: Will Allen and the Growing Table)
-Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez -United Farm Workers union (Book: Lado a Lado /Side by Side)
-Dr. Vandana Shiva, environmental activist and food sovereignty advocate
-Isatou Ceesay -Gambian environmental activist (book: One Plastic Bag)

Hope some of those are helpful :)
Best,
Kathryn
> --
> READ BEFORE REPLYING:
> You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
> ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/school-garden-network/12428077-3388-4808-b68f-66c23e0a9e95n%40googlegroups.com.

Patti Berryhill

Apr 7, 2021, 7:35:54 PM4/7/21
to Kathryn Brignac, awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi All,

While this restaurant is closed now and looking for a new home, the founders had created a wonderful experience for their guests. The Ohlones live in the San Francisco Bay Area and it is their homeland. I have been studying them and have spent some time with their tribal leaders. The narrative about the "Mission Period" is changing. They also want us to know that their elders were not hunters and gatherers. They were Land (and Ocean) Managers. They knew the seasons, the migratory patterns of animals. They knew how to do controlled burns.

This is a very interesting email thread! Thank you!
Patti

--
Patti Berryhill
Garden Conservation Manager

Amy Sidran

Arlene Marturano

Apr 7, 2021, 8:50:40 PM4/7/21
to Kathryn Brignac, awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
Contemporary well-known black birders: J. Drew Lanham and Jason Ward and David Lindo

Charles Alexander Eastman (Ohiyesa) Dakota naturalist
May Theilgaard Watts - naturalist
Booker T. Washington - agriculture

Katherine Pryor

Apr 7, 2021, 11:06:56 PM4/7/21
to Arlene Marturano, Kathryn Brignac, awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
I am loving all of these lists! I would add Wangari Maathai. There’s a lovely picture book about her called “Wangari’s Trees of Peace”.

Katherine Pryor

Erika Kuhr

Apr 8, 2021, 5:50:43 PM4/8/21
to awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
David Fairchild was a huge person that supported the US DOA and went around the world collecting potential plants that farmers/cropping could grow in USA.
There's a great book out about him and the includes the wealthy man that paid for David Fairchild's sailing around the world and almost all the voyages. There's probably a good bit about him on the Botanical garden he founded or named after him in Florida.

Good luck.

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/school-garden-network/12428077-3388-4808-b68f-66c23e0a9e95n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Thank you kindly,

Erika Kuhr
808.896.3179 Kohala Food Hub Office

"Our mission is to practice and teach regenerative agricultural education programs."

Karen Wagner (OR GEM)

Apr 8, 2021, 6:08:59 PM4/8/21
to Erika Kuhr, awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
Loving this thread!  Here are a couple of on-the-ground ag & nature operations, not necessarily run by diverse characters but definitely promoting and practicing diverse nature-centered agriculture, perhaps useful in another section of your ag & nature class.
Apricot Lane Farms - https://www.apricotlanefarms.com/  - showcase & stars of The Biggest Little Farm documentary
TomKat Ranch - https://tomkatranch.org/mobile-homepage/ - holistic ranching using Nature as the teacher

Karen

Karen Wagner
F2S/SG Education Manager; Regional Procurement Lead

Bruce Ferguson

Apr 8, 2021, 7:01:39 PM4/8/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Adam, you might want to have a look at some of the speakers in the U of Michigan's Food Literacy for All series...several have already been mentioned in this thread. https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/sustainablefoodsystems/category/food-literacy-for-all/
-Bruce

Pamela Flory

Apr 8, 2021, 8:26:25 PM4/8/21
to awr...@mountainsongschool.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
Mary Oliver - poet

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/school-garden-network/12428077-3388-4808-b68f-66c23e0a9e95n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Pam Flory
609 480-8902

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Monica Gehrig

Apr 12, 2021, 2:24:47 PM4/12/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi everyone,

I am also really appreciating this list! Thank you all for sharing these amazing resources.

I'd like to add these two:
Masanobu Fukuoka - http://f-masanobu.jp/en/
Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer - https://www.robinwallkimmerer.com/

Laurie Taylor

Apr 12, 2021, 3:37:30 PM4/12/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network, Monica Gehrig

I would add Alice Watters- Edible Schoolyards, The Garden Project, and Slow Food pioneer, and also, Will Allen- "Good Food Revolution" and the work he accomplished with Growing Power, Inc. in Milwaukee.

Laurie Taylor

Judith Rice-Jones

Apr 12, 2021, 3:58:04 PM4/12/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network, Monica Gehrig
Add Bob Cannard, Green String Farm

“Creating peace one garden at a time.”  Tammi Hartung

Pam Hosimer

Apr 14, 2021, 11:33:14 AM4/14/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Adam,

This is a wonderful collection of ideas! I would also add:

Stephen Ritz, founder of the Green Bronx Machine. It's an inspiring story.
Ira Wallace, owner of Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

Also I would suggest this NEW book that was published in 2020:
The Earth in Her Hands: 75 Extraordinary Women Working in the World of Plants by Jennifer Jewell and published by Timber Press.
This book will give you lots of information about women working to make a difference in our food system. (Ira Wallace, who I mentioned above, is profiled in this book)

Stay safe and healthy,
Pam

Pam Hosimer, MLIS

Nutrition Educator

Maryland SNAP-Ed Program

University of Maryland Extension

18410 Muncaster Road, Derwood, MD 20855

301.590.2825 (direct)

667.786.2626 (mobile) / 301.590.2828 (fax)

www.extension.umd.edu/snap-ed