Best Practices for Chickens in School Gardens

sam.ullery

Nov 3, 2015, 11:08:37 AM11/3/15
to National School Garden Network
Here in DC we have just a handful of schools using egg-layers as a part of their school garden program.  I would like to see more schools in DC with chickens so I am working on a resource that will inform schools around best practices for chickens in schools. If anyone has a chicken in schools guide or training documents for their region I would LOVE to see it!  Additionally, we may have an opportunity to add some clarity to our local chicken law- if anyone knows of great legislation, specifically directed at schools, I would also really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sam

Grubbs, Lindsey

Nov 3, 2015, 11:09:31 AM11/3/15
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com

I am interested in this as well!

Lindsey Grubbs

Florida Farm to School & WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program Director

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Division of Food, Nutrition and Wellness

Office: (850) 617-7437

Cell: (850) 510-4465

Fax: (850) 617-7402

Lindsey...@FreshFromFlorida.com

The Holland Building

600 South Calhoun Street (H2)

Tallahassee, Florida 32399

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes). Most written communications to or from state employees are public records obtainable by the public upon request.  Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the laws of the State of Florida.

---

SHERMAN Rick

Nov 3, 2015, 11:11:57 AM11/3/15
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com, JWR...@ag.tamu.edu

Jeff Raska in Texas is the chicken whisperer..  JWR...@ag.tamu.edu

Rick

Rick Sherman

Farm To School / School Garden Coordinator

Child Nutrition Programs

Office of Learning / Student Services

Oregon Department of Education

255 Capital St. NE, Salem OR 97310

( (503) 947-5863  6 Fax: (503) 378-5156

mailto:Rick.S...@state.or.us

Visit ODE’s Farm to School website:  www.ode.state.or.us/go/f2sgardens

thumb sm

Lauren Howe

Nov 3, 2015, 12:09:00 PM11/3/15
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Nowak
Hi everyone,

Slow Food USA's National School Garden Program did our July webinar on chickens in school gardens. We interviewed Kim Aman who is from Moss Haven Elementary outside Dallas, TX. They've developed protocols with their school district and have a very robust school garden program.

More info (including the webinar recording, powerpoint, and protocols) can be found here under July 2015: http://gardens.slowfoodusa.org/monthly-webinars

I hope this is helpful!

Lauren

---

Lauren Howe
Manager of the National School Garden Program
Slow Food USA
lau...@slowfoodusa.org | 718-260-8000 ext. 129
Visit | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

SHERMAN Rick

Nov 5, 2015, 11:53:49 AM11/5/15
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com

The school garden network kicked back so please forward to the group.

Thanks