Filler activities for Zoom lessons?

Tamara Helfer

Nov 13, 2020, 6:12:09 PM11/13/20
to SGSO Network
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this topic has “Zoomed” by and I’ve missed it!

I’m looking for ideas for good 5-minute filler activities for distance learning, when a Zoom lesson has gone faster than expected. We have our fleet of "Back Pocket Activities” for lessons outside in the garden, but what about for DL? Looking for suggestions for grades K-5.

Thanks!

Tamara
Mt. Diablo USD

______________________________

  Tamara Helfer

Mary Thompson

Nov 16, 2020, 8:27:46 AM11/16/20
to Tamara Helfer, SGSO Network
Hello Tamara,

We have some engaging 5 minute videos for connecting the garden to the kitchen to cook some fun kid friendly recipes on Apple Seeds Youtube Channel. These are intended for elementary and middle school ages.

Hope this helps!
Mary Thompson

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

--

Mary Thompson - Executive Director
Apple Seeds

Apple Seeds

Sara Severance

Nov 16, 2020, 9:27:24 AM11/16/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Tamara,

A fun, quick observation activity we've played over zoom is Sharp Eyes.  The teacher tells everyone to take 20 seconds to observe the teacher and their zoom surroundings paying close attention to details.  Then the teacher turns off their camera and quickly changes something small about themselves or something in their immediate background (takes out an earring, flips over a picture in the background, etc).  The teacher turns the camera back on and students use their observation skills to try and guess what was changed!  Other students can take turns changing something or you could even do this in breakout rooms.  Have fun!

Sara

Amy Bowman

Nov 16, 2020, 9:35:26 AM11/16/20
to Tamara Helfer, SGSO Network
Tamara,

Lateral thinking puzzles are a great quick filler. I started out using them as a filler years ago but they quickly became a daily favorite of my students.  This would be easy to incorporate into zoom.  Another idea that I think can be fun and challenging for student is sorting.  Have students find one item near them and show the group, once everyone has shown their item, the group has to figure out a way to sort them, this can lead to some great discussions on how plants, animals etc are classified, and the students can come up with very interesting categories.
<Sequoia Science Education Logo small.png>

Tamara Helfer

Nov 16, 2020, 5:56:33 PM11/16/20
to Amy Bowman, SGSO Network
Thank you to everybody for all your creative ideas!! :)

Tamara

  Tamara Helfer