Fwd: Update on outdoor learning in schools in Whatcom County, Washington

Whitney Cohen

Nov 17, 2020, 5:37:37 PM11/17/20
to SGSO Network
Hello all!

This is a really exciting update from Whatcom County in Washington State. I know many of us are also providing outdoor learning as part of an intentional response to the tremendous challenges COVID has posed to students’ mental health and equity in education. The attached press release shares an inspiring model and well-articulated rationale that I thought may prove useful to many of us in our work.

Enjoy!
Whitney

Whitney Cohen (pronoun: she)
Education Director, Life Lab
educ...@lifelab.org
831-459-5395
See how we’re changing the nature of education!

Begin forwarded message:

From: Keren Bitan <ke...@tandemimpact.com>
Subject: Update on outdoor learning in schools in Whatcom County, Washington
Date: November 16, 2020 at 3:16:06 PM PST

Hi All,

Some good news from Whatcom County, Washington!

Three districts spanning urban to rural have adopted an innovative new outdoor enrichment program involving thirteen Community Based Organizations who are coordinating to address emergent needs. This model of partnership is a powerful example of how multi-sector outdoor learning collaborations are increasing access to online learning, child care, meals and social and emotional support for young people.

A press release is attached that we are sharing with media outlets - any ideas or leads to support getting the word out?

Thank you for everything you are each doing to support and advance outdoor learning during this time!

All my best,
Keren

WCEE_WCF_ConnectionsProgram_PressRelease .pdf