Teacher Survey for Virtual Learning

Sherman Garden

Oct 1, 2020, 1:42:26 PM10/1/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Has anyone surveyed teachers to ask about their preferences for virtual learning? if so, do you mind sharing the survey?

Thanks!
--
Christina Abuelo
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Shannon Stewart

Oct 1, 2020, 1:54:15 PM10/1/20
to Sherman Garden, School Garden Support Organization Network
I haven’t sent out formal surveys, but have been in touch with teachers at the local elementary school.
The principal there prefers videos (garden Ed themes and lessons) dropped into the teachers Google Classroom or Seesaw pages, for kids to access during asynchronous lessons (afternoons).
However, the teacher I’m closest to is wanting some live lessons via her Zoom calls, 15 min max length, with some additional (other sources) videos to support the concepts (farm tours, Kiss the Ground shorter videos, Generation Genius videos, etc).

Teachers are all still figuring things out right now...
But I do know they are wanting activities for the kids that pull them off the device/using their hands etc.

A more “go direct to the source/immediate feedback/real time” kind of survey:)

~Shannon
Garden educator, Hawthorne elementary (Clairemont Consortium, Sage Garden Project)

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 1, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Sherman Garden <sherma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone surveyed teachers to ask about their preferences for virtual learning? if so, do you mind sharing the survey?
---

John Fisher

Oct 1, 2020, 2:05:01 PM10/1/20
to Shannon Stewart, Sherman Garden, School Garden Support Organization Network
Here is the survey we sent to some of our of teachers and administrators.

-- JOHN
John Fisher - Director of Programs & Partnerships - 831.471.7831 - lifelab.org/john
Life Lab cultivates children's love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education.
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with locations in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, CA

Mindysue Swanson

Oct 1, 2020, 7:09:02 PM10/1/20
to Sherman Garden, School Garden Support Organization Network
It depends on site + leadership

My schools that have less resources, more bean counters and worried administrators are putting garden on pause.

I am zooming to support my Birney program ..mixed response from teachers about giving up some facetime for specials. It is shorter so we are creating async websites to complete...I will be distributing my version of kits soon.

All eyes on NYC to see if reopening is going to work. Phase I plan is set, however I have not been consulted OR the PE teacher....so imagine that this will not be in early phase

Anna Garwood

Oct 1, 2020, 7:30:43 PM10/1/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi,
Here's the link to the survey we did at the end of the spring, and another one in August. We sent the surveys in Survey Monkey, but I am sharing the text as a Google Doc.

Best,
Anna

Shital Parikh

Oct 1, 2020, 8:00:02 PM10/1/20
to Sherman Garden, Shannon Stewart, Sherman Garden, School Garden Support Organization Network
San Diego master gardeners are in the process of surveying all the schools they work wirh. You will get a questioner next week.

Sent from my iPhone

Aliesje King

Oct 1, 2020, 8:00:49 PM10/1/20
to Sherman Garden, School Garden Support Organization Network
We used this survey after our Spring Digital Field Trip Lessons  (combination of videos, online and offline activities & prompts).

I also would be interested to see any other approaches.

In solidarity,

Aliesje M. King, M.A.

Program Director | Sauvie Island Center

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Message Phone: 503.341.8627

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 10422, Portland 97296

Field Address: Topaz Farm, 17100 NW Sauvie Island Road, Portland 97231

Teaching, learning, and growing on the lands of the Wapato People of the Chinook Nation

Linda S. Law-Saunders

Oct 2, 2020, 7:53:41 AM10/2/20
to Mindysue Swanson, Sherman Garden, School Garden Support Organization Network

We also are in a holding pattern with face-to-face programming, here in Washington County, New York.

We are creating videos that are similar to what we would do with the students for the teachers use.

-L-

Linda S. Law-Saunders
Family & Consumer Sciences and Ag & Food Systems Educator

Cornell Cooperative Extension | Washington County

ls...@cornell.edu | 518-746-2560